Our body has its own programmed natural ways to protect its self from any foreign body which is being sensed by it as a danger. Sneezing or sternutation is one of the mechanism’s to help the body stay away from the irritants. Apart from the allergens like pollen, dust, mites, animal dander some people who are termed as photic sneezers sneeze away when they go outside under the sun or are exposed to bright light. It’s because these people are light sensitive and when they are exposed to bright light certain triggers get activated and pushes the person to sneeze.
It is being found that when a person sneezes the particle is expelled out of the nose at the speed of 100 miles per hour.
With the easy home remedies it is convenient for the people to follow them and avoid the sneezing as much as possible.
“Are you allergic to the pollens released every season? Your irritation of the nasal mucosa with these tiny pollens could be reduced! Just follow no. 3 written above.”
15. Bitter Gourd
As the name suggests this vegetable is known for its extreme bitter taste and hence is known as bitter gourd. Some even say that bitter gourd is amazing for weight reduction and can also help to purify the blood. But here we will discuss about how to use bitter gourd to treat sneezing.
- You need to buy a few, approximately 5-6 bitter gourd leaves to soak them in water for an hour
- After an hour take out the leaves and squeeze them properly
- Now add a little quantity of warm water to it and blend it to make its juice
- If you want you can add honey to it to make it taste better
- Drink this once daily, preferably in the morning and make yourself get rid of seasonal allergies and cold that might make you sneeze!
14. Oregano Oil
Oil of oregano with its natural ingredients namely carvacol and thymol works great with immune boosting properties. The natural oil extracted from the oreganos posses anti fungal as well as antibacterial properties. Its anti inflammatory properties are also said to work against sinus inflammation during sinusitis.
Just by following these simple steps one can help reduce sneezing
- Take a few drops of oregano oil and stir it well in any juice of your choice
- You can now drink this oregano oil mixed juice
- Daily drinking this mixture will help with sneezing. Once you feel there is no more sneezing or sinusitis you can stop taking it.
13. Chamomile Tea
Chamomile tea contains antihistaminic properties. When our body under goes a reaction with any other foreign substance to which it might be sensitive, it gives a sensitivity reaction producing histamine. Histamine is a mediator which produces inflammatory reaction. Hence the less it is produced the less is the occurrence of an inflammatory reaction.
Drinking chamomile tea can help with sneezing because of its anti inflammatory properties.
Follow the given method to make chamomile tea:
- Take a cup of water and put it boil
- To this water you need to add a tea spoon of dried chamomile flowers
- Keep on boiling it for a few more minutes
- And if you want you can now add a tea spoon or more honey according to your taste
- Drink this tea twice daily
Ginger with its strong taste posses strong anti inflammatory properties. Being anti inflammatory in nature helps it work as a good antibiotic and work against allergic reaction as well. Ginger is also supposed to reduce muscle pain and might also help with circulatory problems.
One can take an advantage of ginger by using against sneezing:
Quick link = Benefits of ginger
- Cut thin slices of ginger root
- You need to boil these ginger root along with a inch of a sliced ginger itself
Boil till 2 cups of water become one cup
- Drink this thrice a day
11. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil can help you with sneezing. Even if you have stuffy nose peppermint oil can work great for that as well. Peppermint oil basically contains antibacterial properties that can help with these issues. Read below to know how to make this oil useful for sneezing:
- You just need to boil a cup of water and add a few drops of peppermint oil to it.
- Now as you see the steam coming out turn off the stove
- Keep the pot of water aside and now cover your head with a towel such that the pot is covered under it too
- Now let the steam be inhaled till you can take it in
- Like this you would be able to clear your nasal passage and help yourself with sneezing as well.
10. Black Pepper
Black pepper is used as an important ingredient in many of the food dishes in the sub continent. They could be used as whole or could be crushed down to a powdered form before getting used. Black pepper can be given for a runny nose as well as for sneezing. Black pepper can be helpful in the following ways:
- Take a cup of warm water and add a pinch of black pepper to it
- Once you’ve mixed it gargle with this water to get rid of the cold
- You can also add one tea spoon of black pepper powder to lukewarm water and drink this mixture daily at least two to three times a day
“Do not follow the myth of not having the citrus fruits like orange during the episodes of cough, cold and sneezing! Read to see why this myth is contradicted.”
Garlic is found to be used both externally and internally to help one get rid common cold and sneezing. Acilin, a chemical substance makes garlic to combat bacteria especially the ones in the upper respiratory tract. Garlic is not only used as a food preservative but garlic can also be used to prevent food poisoning.
- When garlic is crushed a volatile chemical called acilin is released that stays for a limited time
- Hence one needs to crush down the garlic clove and inhale its fragrance deeply
- By doing this the bacteria will be killed and nasal passage will be cleared from them which was causing sneezing.
8. Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek seeds are supposed to have anti inflammatory properties. With this property of fenugreek seed it may also help people with digestive problems as it contains fiber in it. The ones who have intestinal worms can be given fenugreek seeds as well. Due to its anti bacterial and anti viral properties it can help with sneezing and common cold. And with its quality of providing a soothing effect to the membrane it can help reduce the irritation to the mucous membrane thus reducing sneezing.
- Boil two cups of water and add 2-3 teaspoons seeds of fenugreek to it.
- Keep on boiling till the water is reduced to half
- Strain it now and drink it.
- You can drink about 2-3 times a day.
7. Vitamin C
Vitamin C works to be anti histaminic in nature with which it can reduce the inflammatory reaction. Hence when sneezing due to a reaction one can try a vitamin C rich fruit like:
- An orange, which like its name is orange in color and is supposed to be a citrus fruit which is rich on vitamin C. if one doesn’t like to eat an orange there is a thirst quenching alternative to it which is taking it in a juice form.
- Lemon is citrus fruit which is found to be source of vitamin C. It is not only useful to ingest it but it can also help as a bleaching agent for the skin hence working as a beauty agent. People who are weight conscious must take a teaspoon of lemon in lukewarm water to help in weight reduction.
6. Eucalyptus Oil
An extract from the eucalyptus plant has been used for its aroma. Not only for its fragrance it is utilized but also as repellent eucalyptus oil is used. It also contains an anti inflammatory property. People with muscular pain could use this to massage on the aching area in order to reduce the pain. Eucalyptus oil has an effect against the bacteria and hence one encounter toothache eucalyptus oil can be used over the effected tooth to help fight the active bacteria which is causing pain therefore helping to reduce the pain.
The bacteria in the upper respiratory tract could be treated by the eucalyptus oil as well. The trick is simple:
- One just needs to sniff a little amount of eucalyptus oil
- One can either directly inhale it inside
- Or pour a few drops of eucalyptus oil on the handkerchief and inhale it with intervals.
5. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil with its soothing effect and insomniac aroma makes us relax and aid in sleep. One can either massage it on the skin or just inhale it before sleeping to help with sleep deprivation. Lavender oil is also found to help with the sneezing problem and help with the congested chest by clearing the congestion effectively.
- Take about two drops lavender oil either dab them into your nostrils or
- Take them on a cotton bud and insert it in your nostrils.
4. Sesame Seeds
Sesame seeds are supposed to be good for the skin because of its good antioxidant properties. It also helps in the strengthening of bones due to its minerals like calcium and magnesium. People whose stomach lining is irritable might try this for it gives a soothing effect because of its content called mucilage. For the ones who are interested in cholesterol reduction might take some benefit from the sesame seeds. Reducing the cholesterol would reduce the risk of high blood pressure in the individuals.
Due to its antiviral properties sesame seeds can help with sneezing as it is also found to be antiviral in nature. Read the method below and see how to have sesame seeds to get rid of sneezing:
- You can roast some sesame seeds on a pan with oil
- To this you should now add one teaspoon of jaggery
- Keep mixing it till you find it mixed well
- Now eat this mixture
3. Thyme Oil
This oil is beneficial for the ones with gout and arthritis. People with respiratory and digestive issues must try this oil and not only for this but people with dermatitis can also take an advantage from thyme oil. Studies say that thyme oil also helps with weight reduction and blood pressure reduction too.
It is also found to help with sneezing and one can just inhale it to work for the purpose.
“It is time to take a trip to your vegetable market and fill your bucket with the given food items and help yourself with the sneezes.”
2. Saline Water Rinse
Salt and water helps to provide a soothing effect and during the season of pollens one can try salt and water rinses of the nasal passage which would help reduce sneezing. It can help clear the nasal passage and can work to reduce the reaction and irritation caused by the pollens.
The following steps will tell you how to rinse your nose:
- Take a glass of lukewarm water and add one table spoon of salt to it
- With a neti pot squeeze some of the water in your nose from one of the nostril
- Tilt your head a bit and blow the water out of the other nostril.
- Do this twice a day and keep your nasal passage clean.
Butterbur is an herb which is used for headaches and even for the migraines. Its bulb, leaves and roots are used to prepare medicines. It might also help to stimulate in individuals who have a reduced diet problem. Some take it reduce fever while others apply it o their skin to help with wound healing. Butterbur work really well against the pollen allergies. Studies have shown that butterbur contains antihistaminic properties. So with these properties butter bur can help with pollen reaction that might cause sneezing.
Interesting facts about sneezing
- Iguana is one of those animals who sneeze the most.
- Photics are the ones who sneeze under a bright light. So these people can sneeze when going under the bright light of sun.
- While you are sleeping your sneezing nerves are also taking a nap. Hence you do not sneeze when sleeping.
- When you are exercising there is a possibility to sneeze because of the dried nose and mouth due to hyperventilation.
- Plucking off your eyebrows might stimulate the nerve that is supplying to your nasal passage as a result of which you can sneeze.
- A single sneeze can release up to 100,000 germs in the air.
- Sneezing is a body’s protective mechanism. It basically throws out the bacteria or virus that has entered the nose and clears the nasal passage.
- It’s a myth about sneezing that when you sneeze it makes your heart stop for a moment. But the studies say the heart is likely to change its rhythm in which it beats but it can’t stop really.
- While sneezing the blood pressure behind the eyeballs might increase but surely doesn’t mean any bulging out of the eyeballs.