Having healthy, smooth and shiny hair is every woman’s wish. Whether long, short or medium, straight or curly, having hair that is smooth and silky always gives a good feel.But very few people possess naturally smooth and silky hair. Most women have got dull, dry and damaged hair, which is often the result of excessive use of harmful hair care products, over-exposure to sunlight, regular use of hair dyes, serums, high amount of mineral and chlorine in water, and exposure to heating tools such as blow dryers and straighteners. Other factors may include age, nutritional deficiencies, stress and not using a good shampoo/conditioner.
So, these are some of the factors that contribute to the lack of moisture and shine in your hair and make it look dry and unhealthy.Basically, the external layer of our hair consists of natural oil that keeps it healthy and moist for a long time. But when this layer gets damaged, the hair becomes dry, dull and brittle.
Although many people use a number of branded shampoos and conditioners to get smooth, soft and shiny hairstyles, these products do not give permanent results and can turn out to be harmful in the long run. So, rather than using such harmful products, they should try other safe alternatives to get permanently smooth and healthy hair.
Luckily, it is possible to permanently bring back the shine and softness of the hair with the help of some simple and natural home remedies/treatments which won’t cost you a single penny.The best thing about these simple home remedies for smooth and shiny hair is that they’re inexpensive, easy to make and you can easily find the ingredients in your own kitchen so you know what you’re applying to your hair.So, even if you don’t have enough money, you can easily achieve glossy, shiny, and smooth hair easily at your home without going for the expensive salon hair treatments.
Given below are the best 15 most effective home remedies regarding how do you make your hair grow smoothly and shiny hair. Try them out to repair your damaged hair at home and get a healthy and glossy look that you have ever dreamed of!
15. Coconut oil
One of the simplest and easiest home remedies for shiny hair is the use of coconut oil. If you’re wondering how to get shiny hair naturally, just start using coconut oil. By applying coconut oil on a regular basis, you can retain the moisture and shine of your dull hair.Some of the coconut oil home remedies to get shiny and smooth hair are given below:
- Take 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Add some curry leaves to it. Heat it until it gets warm. Leave it for some time so that it cools down. Gently massage the oil on your hair and scalp.Cover your head with a warm towel or a shower cap and leave it for at least 30 minutes. Then wash off with a normal shampoo.
- Applying lukewarm coconut oil from root to tips also makes your hair healthy, silky and smooth. Massage it for a couple of minutes and then cover your hair for 30 minutes with a towel or a shower cap.After that, wash your hair with using a mild shampoo and conditioner.
You can use any of these remedies once or twice a week, depending on the condition of your hair. Also, you can do the same procedure using other oils such as olive oil, almond or castor oil.
14. Hot Oil Treatments
One of the best home remedies for smooth and shiny hair is hot oil treatment. It is the best way to learn how to get healthy hair using natural oils. There are a number of essential oils that you can use such as olive, coconut, jojoba, lavender, almond, castor, rosemary, mint, sandalwood, chamomile, and lavender. Massage your hair once in a week with any of these oils to get that smooth and shiny hair you’ve always craved for. Performing a hot oil massage not only makes your hair healthy and smooth, but also helps to relax yourself. For excellent results, you can also use a combination of these oils. The steps for hot oil treatment for dry hair are as follows:
- Take 4 tablespoons of any of the above mentioned oils, for example, coconut oil (you can adjust the amount of oil according to the length of your hair).
- Gently heat the oil in a panuntil it gets warm (not too hot).
- Add any other essential oil, such as lavender, to it.
- Massage the mixture gently into your hair and scalp. Make sure to cover every part of your hair from root to tip.
- Next, cover your hair with a shower cap for sometime. Then, wrap a warm towel and leave it for at least 20 minutes. This will help in proper penetration of the mixture into the pores of your hair.
- Rinse with water and then wash off with shampoo.
The hot oil treatment works wonders; you’ll be simply astonished with the results. If performed regularly once in a week, this treatment adds shine and permanently restores the moisture to your dry and damaged hair.After sometime, you’ll find that your hair has become much healthier and less weak or brittle.
Avocado is a fruit that contains a lot of good nutrients that nourish and deeply moisturize your hair. Avocado is extremely useful for dry and damaged hair, as it helps to turn your damaged hairinto smooth, shiny and healthy ones. Learn how to get shiny hair using avocado this way:
- Take one peeled and mashed ripe avocado and 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a small bowl. Mix it well. If you have dyed hair, then use jojoba or sweet almond oil instead of olive oil as it can lighten the color of your dyed hair. Apply the mixture on wet hair (not too wet), from root to tips. Cover your hair with a shower cap for at least 20-30 minutes and then wash off the hair mask with water and shampoo afterwards.
- Take one mashed ripe avocado and mix it well with one mashed banana and half tablespoon of sweet almond oil. Apply this paste on your scalp, massage and spread it all over your hair covering the scalp from roots to ends. Put your head inside a shower cap and keep it there for as long as 30 minutes. Finally, rinse with warm water and then shampoo as usual.
Quick link = Benefits of Avocados
12. Egg Pack/Mask
You must have heard about the egg pack or egg mask. The egg hair mask is the best solution to have smooth and shiny hair instantly. It is one of the best treatments you can do at home if you want to know how to healthy hair hair easily. No matter if you have dry, damaged or dull hair; the egg pack can do wonders within no time.Eggs contain a high level of proteins and other nutrients such as fatty acids which help provide moisture and shine to your hair and restore the damaged hair instantly. The egg pack also helps in making your hair thick, healthy, and bouncy, and adds body and texture to it.You can follow either of the below given egg hair treatments once in a week to get smooth and shiny hair:
- In a small bowl, beat one egg until you get a foamy consistency. Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil, honey and cream and mix well together until it becomes a smooth paste. Apply the paste all over your hair including the scalp. Leave it until it gets dry. Then rinse off with a normal shampoo and cool water.
- Whisk 2 eggs until you get a foamy mixture. Add 2 tablespoons of sweet almond oil and half cup yogurt. Mix well to get a paste. Apply the paste on your hair, covering the roots and ends. Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave it to dry for at least 30 minutes. Then wash off with cool water and shampoo afterwards.
11. Mayonnaise Hair Mask
You can also try the mayonnaise hair mask to get smooth and shiny hair at home naturally. Mayonnaise consists of amino acids, powerful antioxidants and proteins that help stimulate healthy hair growth. You can use this hair pack regularly once a week by following some simple and easy steps:
- Take half to one cup mayonnaise (as required for your hair length) and add 2 teaspoons of avocado paste. Mix it well.
- Apply the mixture on moist hair, starting from the crown till the ends.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave it for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Wash your hair thoroughly after an hour with cold water and a shampoo.
Gelatin contains hydrolyzed protein that is best to treat damaged hair. Regular use of gelatin can make your hair silky, smooth and extra shiny. You just to need to follow some easy steps:
- Mix 1 tablespoon of gelatin in a cup of warm water.
- Add 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and some drops of essential lavender oil.
- Apply this mixture on your hair, covering the entire scalp.
- Leave it there for around 10 minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm water.
9. Banana Hair Pack
Another great home remedy to get smooth and shiny hair is the banana pack. Bananas have many benefits; they contain fruit acids such as glucose that help keep your hair nourished by soothing the itchy, flaky scalp and dryness of the hair. Learn how to get shiny hair by making the banana hair pack following the below mentioned steps:
- Take 1 ripe banana, crush it and add 2 teaspoons of yogurt.
- Mix together in a blender so that it becomes a smooth paste without any pieces of the banana.
- Cover all of your hair with this mixture, starting from the roots till the tips.
- Leave it for 30-45 minutes and then wash off with a shampoo.
8. Black Tea
Treating your hair with black tea will not only give you shiny and glossy locks, but will also reduce hair loss. Black tea contains caffeine that helps in reducing the hormone related to hair loss.Using black tea can also darken your hair, so if you have lighter colored hair then you must not use this remedy. If you want to know how to get healthy hair at home, just try this black tea remedy.
- Take 2-3 teabags of black tea and add them to 2 cups of boiled water (the quantity can vary depending upon your hair length).
- Leave the teabags in the boiled water for a few hours.
- After sometime, take the tea and pour it on freshly washed or cleansed hair and leave it there for a couple of minutes.
- Quickly, cover your hair with a shower cap.
- After 20-30 minutes, rinse with water and deep condition your hair to get a silky and smooth look.
7. Beer Hair Tonic
Very few people know that beer actually works as an exceptional hair tonic! It works wonders for dry hair as it has proteins that help repair the damaged parts of the hair and provide moisture to the hair follicles. It also helps addshine, body, strength and volume to your hair.
- Wash your hair with a shampoo. While the hair is still damp, thoroughly spray a small amount of beer all over your hair. Give your hair a blow dry. The smell of beer will vanish after blow drying and you’ll have smooth and glowing hair at your end!
- Thoroughly wash your hair and apply flat beer, starting from the roots to tips. Massage the beer in circular direction into your scalp. Leave it for about 5-10 minutes and then wash it off. You will be surprised to see the results.
6. Aloe Vera
Surprisingly, aloe vera contains 75 powerful nutrients. Aloe vera gel is great for your hair because it contains antioxidants, enzymes, and vitamins that promote healthy hair growth, making it soft and smooth.It also helps fight dandruff and rough hair, while penetrating into the hair strands. Here are a few steps to learn about how to get shiny hair using this amazing herb.
- Take the fresh gel out of the aloe vera stem by cutting a few pieces of it. Mix it with water and apply on your hair.Leave it for about half an hour and then wash off with a shampoo. You will be amazed to see the results.
- Another good remedy is to mix half cup of aloe vera gel with 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Grind some hibiscus flowers and add them in the mixture to make a thick paste.Apply on your hair and keep it for around 30 minutes. Then wash your hair with water.
- You can also prepare a paste using 4 tablespoons of aloe vera gel, 3 tablespoons of yogurt and 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Mix all these ingredients together and apply the paste on your hair. Leave it for 20-30 minutes. After washing off with lukewarm water,your hair will be super soft and shiny.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Washing your hair with apple cider vinegar once in a week is another great home remedy to get smooth and shiny hair. If you have apple cider vinegar at home, you don’t need to wonder about how to get healthy hair naturally. Apple cider vinegar works as an amazing conditioner that maintains the pH level of the hair, thus making it more soft, shiny and smooth. You can use apple cider vinegar in the following ways:
- Mix quarter cup of vinegar with a cup of water and rinse your hair with it after washing your hair with shampoo.
- Take equal quantities of water and apple cider vinegar. After washing your hair, apply this mixture on your hair and massage thoroughly. Leave it for a couple of minutes and then wash with cold water.
- You can also use 2 teaspoons of vinegar and a few drops of lemon juice and mix it with a cup of water. Apply this mixture as a final rinse after washing your hair with shampoo.
You can also use yogurt to get soft, smooth and silky hair since it works as a great conditioner. Follow some simple steps to use this natural remedy at home:
- First, brush your hair neatly using a wide-tooth comb.
- Next, apply some plain yogurt and spread it all over your hair.
- Keep your hair covered in a shower cap for a while; let’s say for 30 minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm water and shampoo afterwards.
Another really effective home remedy for smooth and shiny hair is using honey. Honey retains the moisture in your hair keeping it soft and shiny for a long time. If someone asks you how to get shiny hair using natural remedies, honey should be your first suggestion.
- Wash your hair once or twice a week with honey and your regular hair conditioner or shampoo to get smooth and soft hair.
- Add 2 tablespoons of honey to 2 cups of warm water and mix well. After washing hair with shampoo, spray the solution all over your hair. Gently massage it on your scalp for about 5 minutes and leave it there for as long as 15 minutes. Then wash it with warm water. Your hair will turn soft and smooth in no time.
2. Hibiscus Leaf Treatment
Hibiscus leaves also make a great conditioner for dry and damaged hair.
- Get 10-20 hibiscus leaves from the hibiscus plant.Soak the leaves in water for around 10 minutes.Next, take out the gel out of these leaves by squeezing them in a bowl.Apply the juice on your hair and leave it for about an hour. This works as a conditioner while taking bath. Wash the gel using a shampoo and do this once in a week to get shiny and soft hair.
1. Vegetable Oil And Conditioner
Mixing vegetable oil with a good conditioner also retains the shine and softness of your hair. Here is how to get healthy hair using this simple vegetable oil treatment.
- After thoroughly washing your hair with shampoo, rinse with water and let your hair to dry until it is not dripping wet.Take 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and mix it with your conditioner. You can use canola oil as a substitute for vegetable oil.After covering your hair thoroughly in the mixture, massage your scalp gently and spread the conditioner in the strands of your hair.Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave it for 30 minutes. Then wash your hair until you don’t see the milky color of water anymore. You’ll feel the instant difference yourself.
In addition to these natural home remedies, there are also some do’s and don’ts that will help you keep your hair healthy, smooth and shiny, while preventing or eliminating dryness. Given below are some of these do’s and don’ts that you should follow while taking care of your hair:
- Always wash and condition your hair regularly and properly.
- Always cut off the split ends.
- Use natural hair care products without chemicals.
- After washing, allow your hair to dry naturally.
- Drink plenty of water and eat healthy foods.
- Don’t be harsh with your hair while brushing. Always brush gently and use a wide-mouth comb. Never brush wet hair as it can cause damage.
- While washing, don’t massage your hair with your nails as it will damage your scalp and cause the hair to break. Rather use your fingertips.
- Avoid too many sessions with the blow dryer and straightener.
- Avoid shampooing too often as it can cause dryness.
- Don’t use hot water after applying an egg mask since hot water will clot the egg and it will become difficult to get it out of the hair.
- Never use the essential oils on skin and keep them away from eyes.