Angina which is medically known as angina pectoris is an uncomfortable chest pain or tightness of the heart that happens when some part of the heart is not receiving proper blood oxygen supply. It is not a complete disease, but it is rather the symptom of a chronic artery disease which leads to the most common type of heart disease. The lack of good oxygen towards the heart may cause narrow coronary artery that forms plaque that is a condition called atherosclerosis. Narrow arteries increase the risk of having chest pain, left arm pain, heart attack and death.
Angina shows itself in the form of a mild or severe angina attack, pain or uncomfortable chest condition that may last for 1 to 15 minutes at least. The condition may vary from stable to unstable or variant angina.
- STABLE ANGINA: It is the condition when the heart is pumping harder than usual like during running or exercise. This type can happen over a period of few months or a year and the symptoms can easily be relieved by proper medication and rest.
- UNSTABLE ANGINA: This is the irregular pattern of the heart and it may occur even at rest. It is a less common and more serious symptom of having a heart attack in future.
- VARIANT ANGINA: This type is rare and may occur at rest without any coronary artery disease. This angina happens due to abnormal narrowing or spasm of blood vessels that reduces blood flow to the heart.
The basic factors that cause angina pain can be classified into many different variants:
- Sedentary Lifestyle.
- Excessive smoking.
- Being over 45 years of age for men and 55 for women.
- Unhealthy cholesterol level.
- Metabolic syndrome.
Angina is the moist frequent result of underlying coronary artery disease. These arteries supply fresh blood to the heart and make it function properly. When cholesterol level shoots in the arteries and forms plaques, the arteries narrow and make the blood difficult to pass by. Also, the damage caused by excessive smoking or high blood sugar level to the arteries can also show the symptoms of angina. The plaques formed in the arteries may break off and form blood clots that may block the arteries which make the heart to function improperly.
Let us see what the most common symptoms of angina are that you should consider next time you feel pain in the desired areas:
- Drenched feeling.
- Aching across the chest.
- Breathing problem.
The symptoms often spreads across the chest, neck, jaw, left arm, shoulders, throat, back or even teeth. Patients may also complain some other symptoms such as heartburn, weakness, indigestion, sweating, vomiting, nausea, shortness of breath and cramping. In case of some surprising and severe symptoms kindly such the patient to the nearest hospital.
Angina can be prevented as an aim to reduce pain and avoid the risk of having a heart attack. Medication, lifestyle and other medical procedures must be taken depending upon the type of angina and severity of its symptoms. Angina can be reduced by following these prevention methods:
- Weight control.
- Quite smoking.
- Resting and slowing down.
- A regular check of cholesterol level.
- A regular check of blood sugar.
- Avoid heavy, oil and large meals.
- Avoid stress and depression.
- Eating fresh fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy, lean meat, whole-grain and fish.
The effects of angina can be cured just by sitting at home. You need to follow some home remedies to reduce the symptoms and ease the pain. We have a bunch of some amazing and reliable remedies to be followed and set yourself free from this unwanted pain.
“Drinking a glass of pomegranate juice may result in reduces chest pain or angina.”
15. Citric Fruits
To prevent from angina pain, the very best natural home remedy is to make use of fresh citric fruits. Fruits like oranges, lemon and grapefruit can reduce the uncomfortable pain of angina. These fruits have a special tonic that helps in the proper functioning and pumping of the heart. On the other hand lemon juice controls and removes the cholesterol deposits from the blood vessels.
- Take a glass of warm water and squeeze in a fresh lemon.
- Add honey for good flavor.
- Drink this mixture daily to avoid any kind of angina pain.
- You can also try having freshly squeezed grapefruit juice to avoid severe circumstances.
14. Hibiscus Tea
Hibiscus is an herb that is a rich source of well-known antioxidants known as flavonoids. These antioxidants neutralize free radicals and protect you from having any future heart problem. The antioxidant property of hibiscus and reduces fat content in the arteries thus prevents one from having any type of chest pain and heart diseases. The strong vitamin C content of hibiscus tea strengthens your immune system, especially protecting you from cough and cold.
- To make hibiscus tea, you have to take hibiscus flower petal and boil them in water.
- Simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Strain and add a little honey.
- Inhale the steam while having this tea; this will lose the tightening of the chest.
13. Pomegranate Juice
Many studies have proved that use of pomegranate juice may alleviate many cardiovascular diseases. It reduces oxidative stress and prevents the arteries from severe damage. Pomegranate juice is a rich in source of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that prevent these diseases along with severe chest pain. Thus drinking a good amount of pomegranate juice might help your arteries to open up and will clear it from having fatty deposits.
- Blend pomegranate seeds and extract its juice.
- Sieve the juice to get fresh flushed extract.
- Add some water to it.
- Drink this 2-3 times daily.
- Pomegranate seeds may also be added to some fruit salad.
Note: Pomegranate is not an alternative of medication. In case of anything severe consult a doctor.
12. Licorice Root
Licorice root is an amazing herb that is generously used in many European medicines and Ayurvedic treatments. In native America, it is used in the treatment of cough, cold, heartburn, diarrhea, chest pain, stomach problems and fever. Licorice contains flavonoids that flushes your body from harmful toxins and open up your arteries for ideal passage of blood.
- Add some licorice root tea in boiling water.
- Steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain and add honey for taste.
- Drink this tea 1-2 times daily.
11. Oregano Oil
Oregano oil is extracted from oregano herb by steam distillation process. This special oil has some amazing antibacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal properties that work against chest pain and discomfort of the chest. Oregano oil reduces chest pain by controlling the upper respiratory problems. It also reduces chest conjunction and irritation of lungs.
- Add a few drops of oregano oil in water and have it daily.
- Dilute about 10-12 drops of oregano oil in 6 teaspoons of essential oil such as jojoba, grape seed or sweet almond oil. Massage on your chest for the relief of chest pain.
- Take a big bowl of hot water and add few drops of oregano oil. Inhale the team to reduce chest conjunction and tightening.
10. Omega-3 Fatty Acids
If you have a high cholesterol problem and family history of having heart diseases, then you need to increase your consumption of mega-3 fatty acids rich foods. These fats are excellent for your body and provide benefits that your body needs. Omega-3 prevents from coronary heart diseases and slows down the process of this disease in healthy people. People consuming omega-3 fatty acids have less risk of having coronary heart diseases. For healthy lifestyle people should consume:
- Fish oil supplements.
- Flax seeds.
- Walnuts and nuts.
- Soy and canola oil.
- Fish such as tuna, salmon, trout and sardines.
Any form of meditation is best for the relief of angina pain. It increases the oxygen and blood flow in the arteries and heart and evens the heart rate. Meditation also relaxes body muscles and reduces stress and depression that may be one of the causes of chest pain or angina.
- Choose an environment where you can sit comfortably.
- Sit in a relaxing position.
- Try to relax you entire body muscles.
- Take a deep breath using your nose.
- Focus your mind towards anything happy and relaxing.
- Repeat till you find relief from chest pain.
“Tobacco is the biggest enemy of good health. Stop drinking cigarettes and other tobacco items for a healthy and prosperous you.”
8. Fenugreek Seeds
According top many Ayurvedic studies, fenugreek seeds can help promote good cardiovascular health and prevent one from severe angina problem. Its amazing antioxidant and some cardio-protective properties will reduce the bad cholesterol from the arteries and will promote better flow of blood.
- Add about 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in a cup of water.
- Boil this water until reduced to half.
- Strain and add honey for taste.
- Drink about 2 cups daily.
- To reduce angina pain, you can also try soaking about a tablespoon of fenugreek seeds in a glass of water.
- Keep it overnight and eat them the next morning with empty stomach.
Almonds are miraculous seeds that are rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids. These fatty acids help reducing cholesterol promotes well being of heart and body. Almonds are also rich on potassium, magnesium and plant sterols that lower the total cholesterol and prevent one from having any sort of future angina problems.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of almond oil and 1 teaspoon of rosemary oil.
- Rub this mixture gently on your chest to reduce pain.
- To reduce any type of angina pain, eat a handful of almonds every day.
Alfalfa is an incredible help that has been used in many medications. It contains vitamin C, B, riboflavin, niacin, Vitamin D, A and K. it is also a rich source of xantophyll and chlorophyll pigments that helps in relieving chest pain. Different enzymes are present in this herb that also helps in reducing chest pain and controls heart burning. The chlorophyll in alfalfa helps to manage many lung-related diseases that lead to severe chest pain.
- Take about 1 teaspoon of dried alfalfa and pour hot boiling water.
- Steep for 10 minutes, strain and add honey.
- Drink this tea 2 times daily.
- Alfalfa sprouts can also be added to salads.
- You can also try extracting alfalfa leaves juice and have it on the daily basis.
Note: Due to fiber concentration, alfalfa juice may lead to irritated bowel movement.
5. Holy Basil
Holy basil which is also known as tulsi is one of the popular ingredients in Ayurvedic treatments. It is one of the excellent anti-inflammatory that works with nutrients and helps in proper functioning of the heart. The magnesium present in basil that promotes a smooth flow of blood towards the heart and blood vessels and relaxes the body. The antioxidant property of basil will prevent the body from building up cholesterol in blood vessels.
- Chew 4-5 basil leaves every day to prevent chest pain.
- Crush about 10-12 basil leaves and extract its juice.
- Mix the juice with honey and have it daily.
- Boil basil leaves in half a cup of water and add a ginger piece.
- Drink this tea on the daily basis.
Note: Basil tea works best for the relief of cough, cold and chest pain.
4. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper can work well to reduce chest pain. It contains a high amount of capsaicin which is a well known anti-inflammatory ingredient. It is also a wonderful blood regulator and helps in the proper flow of blood through blood vessels.
- Add 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder to a glass of fruit juice or milk.
- Drink this mixture whenever you feel pain in the chest.
- It can also be taken as a supplement after doctor’s recommendation.
Turmeric is world’s best natural medication. It is always recommended to be used as a chest pain reliever. One of its active ingredient called curcumin helps reduce any kind of cholesterol oxidation, blood clotting and plaque formation in blood vessels. Its anti-inflammatory property also helps in reducing chest pain.
- Add half a teaspoon of fresh turmeric powder in a glass of warm milk.
- Add honey and drink it while it is still warm.
- To improve your heart status, keep a routine to add turmeric powder in your daily savoury meals.
Ginger is another very popular and effective home remedy for chest pain. Gingerols is a chemical compound that is present in ginger; it helps to reduce the level of bad cholesterol and reduces the risk of building up in blood vessels. Because of its antioxidant property, it helps the blood vessels to get damaged from high cholesterol level. Whenever you encounter a chest pain drink a cup of ginger tea.
- Take 1 teaspoon of grated or dried ginger and add in a cup of hot water.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Strain and add honey for flavor.
- Drink this tea at least 2 times daily.
- You can also chew and suck a small piece of raw ginger in order to reduce chest pain.
Garlic is one of the most effective home remedies for chest pain. According to a study, regular consumption of raw garlic can delay and prevent many cardiovascular diseases. A clove of garlic can lower the level of cholesterol and will help in reducing plaque formation on the walls of the arteries that also improves the flow of blood and oxygen towards the heart.
- Add half a teaspoon of garlic juice in a cup of hot water and drink it daily.
- For proper preventive measures, chew about 2 cloves of garlic to prevent severe cardiovascular diseases.
- Take a glass of milk and add few cloves of garlic. Boil this milk and drink the mixture while chewing the cloves. This will reduce the chest pain due to phlegm accumulation.
Things To Ponder
- Always use extra virgin olive oil to cook your favorite meals. It boosts blood circulation in the body and reduces chest pain.
- Eat slowly and in a relaxed environment while chewing your food properly.
- Eat a balanced and nutritious diet that is rich in fatty acids, proteins, vitamins and fiber.
- Avoid extreme cold weather as this may also cause chest pain.
- Avoid any type of strenuous work that may cause chest pain.
- Avoid stress and depression. Avoid certain situations that make you depressive.
- Start losing your weight, if you feel you have gained a lot.
- Quit smoking and other activities related to tobacco.
- Reduce the intake of alcohol and caffeine.
- Control your blood sugar level.