Aloe vera is the most common yet the most powerful magical plant that has been used by women since ages for the purpose of various health and beauty treatments. It is the most commonly used ingredient in herbal mixtures, cosmetics and medicines.
Aloe vera is not only good for a healthy and glowing skin, but also works wonders when applied to the hairs. The secret of aloe vera lies in its thick, long, juicy leaves – the gel in the leaves makes it a magical plant. This gel consists of many useful compounds such as water, lectins, mannans, polysaccharides, etc., and a number of vitamins and minerals. Aloe vera gel can be used in any form and can be used on any type of skin or hair.
Steps for extracting out aloe vera gel at home:
- Carefully cut the leaves at an angle from the base of the aloe vera plant – the leaves in the middle are much thicker and contain good amount of the gel.
- Next, keep the leaves standing in an upright position for at least 15 minutes so that all the sap drains out completely.
- After all the sap has been drained out, wash the aloe vera leaves to remove any leftover sap.
- Get a cutting board and cut the thorny edges of the leaves on both the sides.
- Next, peel off the top green layer of the leaves and cut up the transparent gel in the form of cubes. You can also slice the leaves lengthwise into two halves and take out the transparent aloe gel with a spoon.
If you want to make aloe vera gel at home and use it regularly, then it’s good to keep the extracted gel in a container inside the fridge. In this way, the gel will remain fresh for a longer time and you can use it later on when needed.
“If you want to get beautiful and flawless skin and hair then try these home made aloe vera gel masks that you can Do-It-Yourself within no time.”
Here are 20 of the best and amazing Do-It-Yourself aloe vera masks for beautiful skin and hair that you can make at the comfort of your home:
20. Aloe Vera Mask For Freckles And Sunburn
Add 4 tablespoons of aloe vera gel to 6 tablespoons of cucumber juice and 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt. Mix them well together and apply on your face and neck thoroughly. Leave this mask for around 20 minutes and then rinse it off with water.You will be amazed to see a remarkable difference in your freckles/sunburn.
19. Aloe Vera Mask For Dry Skin
Aloe vera is also great when it comes to revitalizing dry skin.
- Mix 3 tablespoons of aloe vera gel with 1 tablespoon of rose oil. Apply this mixture uniformly on your face. Keep for 10-15 minutes and then wash it off with lukewarm water.
- You can also use 2 teaspoons of aloe vera gel with 1 teaspoon each of almond oil and rose water for dry skin problems.
- Apply a mixture of 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel and 2 tablespoons of honey every day to get healthy skin.
18. Aloe Vera And Lemon Juice Mask For Blemishes And Dark Spots
Aloe vera works wonders when combined with fresh lemon juice. Both aloe vera gel and lemon help reduce blemishes and dark spots on your face and gives a clearer skin. These two ingredients also eliminate stretch marks and sun-tanned skin. In addition to that, lemon juice prevents aloe vera gel from turning brown with time.
Take 2 thick aloe vera leaves, one lemon, a bowl, a sharp knife and a blender.Cut off the sharp edges of both the aloe vera leaves with the help of a sharp knife. Next, cut the top layer of the leaves along the length, sideways. Carefully take out the transparent aloe vera gel from inside the leaves. Put the gel in a bowl and add few drops of lemon juice. Pour the mixture into a blender and mix well for around a minute. Apply it on your face and neck. Leave it for 10-15 minutes and then rinse off with water.
17. Aloe Vera Beauty Mask For Acne And Pimples
Beat an egg white and mix in 4 tablespoons of aloe vera juice, 1 tablespoon of green tea and two drops of chamomile oil. Apply this mixture on your face and keep it for 20 minutes. Rinse off with cool water.
- You can also combine 2 tablespoons of aloe vera juice with 1 tea spoon of tea tree oil to get acne free skin and to get rid of pimples.
16. Aloe Vera Cleansing Mask For Clear Skin
Take a piece of ripe papaya, a small amount of aloe vera gel, 1 teaspoon of yogurt and 1 tablespoon honey. Put these ingredients in a blender or a food processor and blend them well together. Apply the paste on your face and neck and leave it for 15 minutes. Rinse it off with lukewarm water. This mask will give you clear skin instantly.
15. Aloe Vera Mask For Blemishes And Scars
Make a paste by adding equal quantities of aloe vera gel and rose water. Apply the paste evenly on your face and neck. Rinse it off with cool water after 20-30 minutes. This is a great remedy for scars.
- Another tip is to mix few drops of lemon juice with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of aloe vera juice. Apply this mixture on your face and rinse off with lukewarm water after 15-20 minutes.
14. Aloe Vera Fruit Mask For Dry Skin
Aloe vera fruit mask deeply nourishes your skin, especially if your skin is dry.
- Mix together some chunks of orange, banana, kiwi, and avocado and add 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel in it. For extremely dry skin, you can add 1 teaspoon of almond oil as well. Spread the mask on your face and leave it for about 15-20 minutes and then wash off with water.
13. Aloe Vera Mask For Wrinkles
Whisk one egg yolk and add 1 teaspoon each of olive oil and aloe vera gel into it. Use a cotton ball to apply this anti-aging face pack on your skin. Keep it for 15-20 minutes and then wash it off. Your skin will feel more tightened and healthy.
12. Aloe Vera Mask For Glowing And Radiant Skin
This DIY mask is really amazing for making your skin beautiful and smooth. Take a few drops of rose water, a bit of turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon of raw milk and honey. Add all these ingredients in 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel and mix them well together to form a paste. Apply this paste on your face and neck. Rinse off after 20-30 minutes.
- You can also prepare an exfoliating mask by mixing 1 teaspoon of lemon juice with 2 teaspoons of brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel.
11. Aloe Vera Mask For Removing Blackheads And Whiteheads
Take 1 tablespoon of granulated brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel. Mix them well together to form a thick paste. Apply it on your face, especially on the nose for blackheads. Rub gently in circular movements for 4-5 minutes. Wash off with water. This is a great mask that deeply penetrates in your skin, while removing the excess oil and dirt, thus giving you a long-lasting glow.
10. Aloe Vera Mask For Skin Detoxification
Take aloe vera gel, lime juice and mango pulp in equal quantities. Blend them together in a blender to form a thick paste. Apply the paste on your face and keep it for at least 20 minutes. Then wash off with water. This mask detoxifies your skin and gives you a natural glow.
9. Aloe Vera And Egg Hair Conditioner Mask
If you want to make your hair soft, healthy and beautiful then apply the following mask to get great results:
Whisk one egg and add a significant quantity of aloe vera gel in it. Apply this mixture on your hair and leave it for 15-20 minutes. Wash off your hair with cool water. This mask works as a great conditioner for your hair.
8. Aloe Vera Homemade Hair Conditioner
You can also use aloe vera as a simple hair conditioner for getting smooth and velvety soft hair.
- Take out a significant amount of aloe gel from the leaves of the aloe vera plant. Using your fingertips, carefully apply the gel on damp hair, starting from the roots to tips. Cover the hair with a warm towel and wait for 15-20 minutes for the gel to penetrate into your hair. After the gel has completely settled in the hair, wash off using a shampoo.
7. Aloe Vera Hair Mask For Itchy Scalp
Aloe vera has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties that cure itchy scalp.
- Take out the gel from an aloe vera leaf and directly apply it on your scalp. Using your fingers, gently massage your scalp and then leave it for 20 minutes. Wash off your hair with cool water. This remedy gives you cooling sensations and cures scalp problems.
6. Aloe Vera Hair Mask For Dandruff
For getting dandruff-free hair, apply a combination of aloe vera gel and some drops of tea tree oil. This is an excellent remedy for eliminating dandruff. You can also add some rose water to the mixture to make it more effective. Leave the mixture on your hair for an hour and then wash it off. Following this remedy once or twice in a week will give you dandruff-free hair for the rest of your life!
Quick link = Home remedies for dandruff
5. Aloe Vera And Olive Oil Hair Conditioner Mask
This is a simple deep-clean conditioner mask for your hair. Take equal amounts of aloe vera gel and olive oil and mix them well together. Apply this mixture thoroughly on your hair using a comb. Leave it for around half an hour. Wash it afterwards with a normal shampoo.
4. Aloe Vera Mask For Hair Growth
Using aloe vera for stimulating hair growth is an ancient remedy. Aloe vera treatment is the best option for people who are facing hair loss problems. The aloe vera plant consists of a number of enzymes and antioxidants that directly stimulate hair follicles and promote healthy hair growth. In addition to that, aloe vera also has alkalizing properties which help restore the pH of the hair and scalp to a more desired level, which in turn leads to hair growth.
Take half cup of aloe vera gel and mix it with a quarter cup of wheat germ oil and half cup of coconut milk. Gently massage the mixture on your scalp and hair and leave it for at least 30 minutes. Rinse off with water.
3. Aloe Vera Mask For Soft And Shiny Hair
Mix 1 teaspoon each of coconut oil and lemon juice with 3 teaspoons of aloe vera gel. Carefully apply and massage this mixture on your hair for a couple of minutes. Wash your hair with a shampoo after 20 minutes. Your hair will be more soft and shiny than before.
2. Aloe Vera Overnight Hair Treatment Mask For Dull And Dry Hair
If your hair is extremely dry, dull or damaged and also difficult to manage, then you should go for the overnight aloe vera treatment:
Extract half cup of aloe vera gel from the aloe vera leaves. Add 1 teaspoon of basil powder, 2 teaspoons of fenugreek powder and 2 teaspoons of castor oilin it and mix well together. You can also use a blender to blend these ingredients together to form a thick paste/mask. Spread the mask on your hair covering the roots and the hair strands. Place your head in a shower cap and keep it all night for the hair pack to settle in deeply in your hair. Rinse off thoroughly in the morning with a shampoo. This overnight hair pack is really effective in treating dry, dull hair and also promotes hair growth.
1. Aloe Vera And Hibiscus Flower Hair Mask
Take 1 cup of aloe vera gel and add 2 tablespoons of hibiscus flower paste. Blend together to form a paste. Apply the mask on your hair and keep it for 30-45 minutes and then wash it off. When used regularly, this hair mask will make your hair smooth, thick and shiny, and will also prevent split ends.
Follow some of the below given do’s and don’ts when using aloe vera:
- Always wash the aloe vera leaves thoroughly with water before using them for any purpose.
- Add aloe vera gel in any beauty mask to moisturize the skin.
- To avoid dryness, apply a thin layer of the gel before applying makeup.
- Men can also use aloe vera gel by applying it on their face after shaving. Aloe vera gel works as a good natural aftershave for softening the skin and soothing razor burns.
- For overall good health, drink aloe vera juice as tonic.
- Don’t use lemon juice on your hair frequently with aloe vera. It can lighten the color of your hair. Replace lemon juice with honey often.