Indigestion can be a cause of many unhealthy eating habits. It occurs due to improper release of stomach juices. Poor eating habits may be a cause of heart burn. It is a sensation when your chest feels like it is burning because the acids in the stomach come into the esophagus. It can cause vomiting, bloating and a burning sensation. It can be caused by the following factors:
- Over eating
- Excessive intake of alcohol
- Excess intake of spicy foods
- Stomach infections
- Irritable bowel movement
Symptoms of heart burn may be very uncomfortable making you want to puke. These include:
- Burning sensation in the chest
- Pain in the stomach
There are several home remedies which you can try when experiencing heartburn.
“Suffering from heartburn? Try these home remedies for yourself. If things do not get better, consult your doctor and adopt healthy eating habits.”
20. Drink Lots Of Water
Water helps in diluting the acids and juices released by the stomach. It is the best cure for heart burn. But you do not have to drink water after you have your food. Take water before meals. This will help you to abstain from over eating and will regulate the release of stomach juices as well.
- Drink two glasses of plain water just before you take your food.
- Drink the water in a slow pace.
- If you want to drink water after the meal, drink it after at least 30 minutes after you have taken your food.
19. Cumin Powder
Cumin Powder helps in treating the heart burn at a very fast rate. You can get relief in minutes if you consume cumin powder.
- Take a teaspoon of cumin seeds
- In the pestle or mortar make it into powder form
- Add this powder into a glass of water
- Drink it after you take your food
- By drinking this you will not feel any symptoms of heartburn
Cumin Powder has alkaline properties and it neutralizes the acid in the stomach.
18. Fennel Seeds
Fennel seeds are the best remedy against heart burn. They contain oil which helps against nausea and heartburn. It aids digestion.
- Take a teaspoon of fennel seeds
- Munch them and swallow them after chewing them well.
- Chew until there is no taste coming from them in your mouth.
- Fennel seeds can also be consumed in the form of tea.
- Boil a cup of water. Add honey to taste.
- Add a teaspoon of fennel seeds and let them steep for a minute.
- Drink this tea after straining.
- You will get relief from heart burn within minutes.
Ginger gas healing properties and is anti inflammatory as well. It also aids digestion as it stimulates the digestive juices. If you have over eaten, ginger will be the right choice to cure heartburn.
Quick link = Benefits of ginger
- Mix two table spoons of ginger juice in a teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Add a pinch of black salt.
- You can consume this mixture either mixing water or without it.
16. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is an antibiotic which is natural. It provides quick relief from indigestion.
- Take two tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar.
- Mix them in a glass of water.
- Add honey if the taste in unbearable.
- Drink it at least twice a day
- Do not take Apple Cider Vinegar if you have a medical condition like stomach ulcer or acidity.
15. Coriander Seeds
Coriander is very good for indigestion problems. You can take coriander in many forms.
- Grind some coriander seeds.
- Add it to warm water.
- Drink this concoction
- Alternatively coriander can be added to ginger and honey and be consumed thrice to aid in indigestion.
14. Baking Soda
An effective and quick relief can be made from baking soda. Baking soda helps against heart disease and gives instant relief from heartburn.
- Mix half teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water.
- Drink it and get relief against heart burn instantly.
Cinnamon is very effective for indigestion and also provides fast relief against indigestion. It helps against bloating and stomach cramps.
Quick link = Benefits of cinnamon
- Put half teaspoon of ground cinnamon in a cup of warm water.
- Drink this as a tea and you will get instant relief from heartburn and gas.
Aniseeds if taken after meals help against heartburn and prevent it from happening.
11. Eat Citrus Fruits
Citrus fruits help against indigestion by promoting digestion. They have antibiotic properties as well but should be taken in prescribed quantities if you suffer from peptic ulcer.
“Heartburn is a very uncomfortable condition and must be dealt with wise tactics. Common sense will also help relieve but so will the home remedies in the article.”
Peppermint oil is very effective against heartburn as well and it helps to relieve indigestion at a very fast pace.
- Add a few drops of peppermint oil to cold water
- Do not exceed the prescribed dose as it may aggravate the condition.
- Drink this mixture of oil and water and enjoy a cool sensation in your abdomen as well as relief from heartburn.
Chamomile tea is known worldwide for its benefits. Drink this tea twice a day to get relief from Indigestion.
- Take half a teaspoon of chamomile dried or fresh leaves.
- Boil some water.
- Add leaves to this water and let it steep.
- Drink this tea after adding honey to taste.
8. Herbal Tea
Many teas are good for stomach including raspberry tea and green tea. These teas have many other health benefits and should be consumed on a regular basis. They provide instant relief from Indigestion, aid in digestion and helps in giving relief to the burning sensation. Replace black tea or coffee with green tea or any other herbal tea.
7. Grapefruit Peel
Grapefruit peel helps in release of stomach juices in a slow manner. This peel contains antibiotic properties as well and helps in regulating the pH of the stomach.
- Dry a few grapefruit peels in the sun or by keeping it in a cool and dry place for a few days.
- Put them in a blender and make it in powder form.
- Take a warm glass of water and mix a teaspoon of the powder.
- Drink it before every meal to help against indigestion.
6. Carom (Ajwain)
Ajwain is used by Asians in many health ailments. It aids in digestion and helps in regulating the stomach juices.
- Mix half a teaspoon of ajwain seeds in half the amount of salt.
- Put this mixture in the mouth.
- Drink a glass of water over it.
Cloves carry healing and anti inflammatory properties. They neutralize the acid in the stomach and make the walls of the stomach easy to deal with the stomach acids.
- Take two to three cloves and munch on them
- This will provide relief from indigestion and flatulence.
4. Indian Gooseberry
Amla or Indian gooseberry is also very effective against indigestion. It helps against heartburn and provides relief from the condition for a long period of time.
- Eat raw gooseberry on an empty stomach and you will be relieved of heart burn for the day.
- If you make this your regular ritual of eating gooseberry, you will find relief from many stomach ailments like stomach flatulence, gas, constipation etcetera.
3. Pineapple Juice
Pineapple juice helps the food to be digested very quickly. Pineapple juice also gives instant relief from indigestion or heart burn.
- Take half a glass of pineapple juice after every meal.
2. Black Salt
Black salt is very effective in aiding digestion. It helps release digestive enzymes in the stomach.
- Take a pinch of black salt
- Place it beneath your tongue
- Suck on it slowly until all the salt dissolves
1. Soya Oil And Garlic
Garlic and soya oil have anesthetic and healing properties. If you are suffering from stomach ache from indigestion, take some crushed garlic and equal quantity of soya oil. Mix them together and massage on your stomach in circular motions. If you warm this mixture a bit before applying, it will have quick and long lasting effects.
- Take a balanced diet which includes fresh vegetables and fruits.
- Do not eat a lot of chocolates as this may trigger heartburn in some people.
- Chew your food as much possible before swallowing.
- Eat the salad at the end of the meal. This makes sure that you take all the proteins and everything before you eat your salad and veggies.
- Do not lie down after you have had your meal.
- Don’t drink cold water before meals as it suppresses the gastric secretions.
- Don’t try the Apple Cider Vinegar remedy if you have gastric ulcer.
- Don’t exceed the dose on peppermint oil as it may aggravate the condition.