Plantar Fasciitis is the inflammation of the thick fascia or tissue at the bottom of the foot. Plantar Fasciitis can affect both men and women, mostly between the ages of 40 to 60. It is a common disorder that causes acute pain in the heel and the sole of foot. This disorder is common in runners and in those people who use shoes with improper arch support. Muscular imbalance and obesity are also causes of Plantar Fasciitis. People suffering from this disorder experience pain when walking. Nature provides some effective cures that can work as effective plantar fasciitis treatment. You can easily cure Plantar Fasciitis using home remedies; there is no need of spending lots of money at the hospital.
Here are a few easy remedies that you should follow to get rid of plantar fasciitis.
“If you have plantar fasciitis, you need not worry about spending lots of money anymore. Plantar Fasciitis can easily be treated at home using just a few household ingredients.”
Plantar Fasciitis is caused by inflammation in the plantar fascia, hence the name. Ginger is a very powerful anti-inflammatory agent. It has properties that can help relieve the heel pain and reduce the inflammation and swelling.
Quick link = Health benefits of ginger
- Wash your ginger and grate it.
- Fill in a cup with water and add 1 tablespoon of grated ginger.
- Boil the water with ginger on the stove for a few minutes.
- Remove the tea from the heat and let it steep for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Drink the tea while warm.
- Drink this tea at least twice daily for immediate results.
Ginger will help get rid of your plantar fasciitis. If you want to speed up the process even more, start adding small amounts of ginger in your daily meals.
Turmeric is known to possess anti-inflammatory and pain killing properties which makes it an effective DIY remedy for this problem. It helps to curb the pain to a somewhat bearable degree. Curcumin is a component of turmeric responsible for these properties.
Quick link = Turmeric benefits
Recent studies suggest that turmeric can be used to treat inflammation, both acute and chronic types. So follow this simple remedy to use turmeric as an effective plantar fasciitis treatment.
- Take one glass of milk and heat it in the microwave.
- You can also heat the milk on stove, if you do not own a microwave.
- Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric to the warm milk.
- Mix well and drink.
- You can also add 1 teaspoon of honey to the milk, to make it taste pleasant.
- Drinking this blend before bed has proven to be very beneficial.
18. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt is very widely used for treating muscle pain. People who suffer from muscle strain use Epsom salt in their bath, once a week. It can also help treat plantar fasciitis. Epsom salt helps relieve the pain and cure inflammation, it also works to heal the muscles and associated fascia. You can also use this recipe to treat all kinds of heel pain.
- Fill in a small tub with warm water.
- Make sure that the water is not too hot, or else it will burn your feet.
- Add 3 tablespoons of Epsom salt to your warm water.
- Mix the salt in the water using your hand.
- Soak your foot in this water for 15 minutes.
- Use soft motions to massage the arch of your foot.
- Repeat this process daily until the pain and inflammation disappear.
17. Fish Oil
Fish oil helps reduce inflammation and decrease muscle stiffness. It is rich in Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) – both of which are important for eliminating pain and inflammation. People, who maintain a balanced diet rich in fish oil, do not suffer from plantar fasciitis.
- Maintain a balanced diet.
- Include cold-water fish, such as tuna and salmon in your diet.
- You can cook the fish any way you want.
- Do not use too much oil.
16. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper contains a component called capsaicin; the primary function of which is to relieve pain. Plantar Fasciitis causes inflammation, pain and muscle stiffness. Cayenne pepper helps treat all those symptoms of heel pain and more.
- Fill a bucket with hot water.
- Add a teaspoon of cayenne pepper to the water.
- Do not use burning hot water, as that may irritate the skin and provide discomfort.
- Soak your feet in the bucket for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Wash your feet with warm water.
- Repeat this process a few times each week.
Do not use cayenne pepper on open cuts, sensitive or inflamed skin. Stop usage immediately if you feel a burning sensation. Wash with clean cold water.
15. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is the king of all home remedies. It is greatly recommended that you have apple cider vinegar in your house, if you do not already. Apple cider vinegar is used to treat various health related problems; it can also help your skin, hair and weight. The properties of apple cider vinegarhelp reduce inflammation and pain, and thus help cure plantar fasciitis.
- Warm a glass of water in the microwave.
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey to the water along with 1 tablespoon of good quality apple cider vinegar.
- Mix well and drink.
- Repeat this process daily in the morning.
Another way to use apple cider vinegar as effective plantar fasciitis treatment is to fill a tub with warm water and add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to it. Soak your feet in the tub for 5 minutes daily to see good results and the best part is that apple cider vinegar also helps in repairing the cracked heels.
Never ingest apple cider vinegar directly, always dilute it with some water.
Massage is one of the best plantar fasciitis exercises for instant pain relief. A good massage can do wonders to treat your plantar fasciitis. Any muscle pain or tendon pain can be dulled to a great degree by a good massage. It is better if you massage your foot while in warm water, or use coconut or sesame seed oil. Do not use rough hands or fast and jerky movements, as that can help intensify your pain to an unbearable extent.
- Warm a small amount of coconut oil or sesame seed oil in the microwave.
- Rub the oil between the palms of your hands.
- Use your hands to massage your foot in slow circular motions.
- Keep massaging for a good 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse your foot with warm water.
- Repeat this process daily before bed time.
13. Heating Pad
Heat helps loosen up the muscles and provide pain relief. A heating pad can come in handy when treating plantar fasciitis. The stiff muscles relax when heat is applied.
Stop using a heating pad and consult your doctor immediately if you feel the inflammation becoming worse.
- Follow the instructions of your heating pad and apply it to the sole of your foot.
- If you do not have a heating pad, fold a large piece of cloth many time until it form a small rectangular shape.
- Heat the cloth using an iron.
- Do not iron on the highest setting, as that may burn the cloth.
- Apply the heated cloth to the sole of your foot, and hold it in place until it cools back down.
12. Perform Easy Stretches
Stretches are one of the most important plantar fasciitis exercises for quick relief. Easy stretches help reduce the risk of plantar fasciitis and also help cure them. Stretching is important for the body, no matter what age, weight or gender you are. Make it a ritual to perform easy stretches after you wake up in the morning. Here are some of the easy plantar fasciitis stretches to cure this problem.
If you have developed plantar fasciitis, then try the following steps:
- Stretch your toes.
- Stretch your calves.
- Abduct and addict your toes.
- Perform dorsiflexion and plantar flexion.
- Perform these easy stretches 4 to 5 times throughout the day.
11. Calf Stretching
Calf stretching is as important as stretching your foot. All our muscles are interconnected with each other part of the body. Many muscles work to perform a single function. Stretching the calf muscles is a very important step to recovery. You need to stretch the two muscles in your calf that are attached to the heel; this will help cure the plantar fasciitis. Follow this simple cure in the form of plantar fasciitis stretches.
- Stand against a wall or a solid object such as a desk.
- Place your hand on the wall.
- Slide on leg backwards.
- Apply pressure on the leg for 1 minute.
- Bend your knee and apply pressure aging for another 1 minute.
- Keep repeating this process for 5 minutes.
It’s one of the very effective plantar fasciitis exercises to cure this problem. Minimize the pressure that you are applying, if you start experiencing pain. Consult your doctor.
“Plantar Fasciitis is a very common and annoying foot disorder. Here are a few home remedies that you can try to eliminate plantar fasciitis without medication or surgery.”
10. Night Splint
Night splints are a very effective for treating plantar fasciitis. They can be terribly uncomfortable but a regular use can help achieve amazing results in just a small amount of time.
Night splints help hold your foot at a 90 degree angle to the ankle. This keeps your foot stretched throughout the night. Normally, stiffening of the muscles and fascia can occur during sleep, this is prevented by using night splints.
9. Ice Massage
Ice can help relieve pain and inflammation which makes it an important plantar fasciitis treatment. Heat and cold are two methods that work effectively for treating this disorder, however only one of the two works best for some people.
- Take a few ice cubes and cover them in a cloth.
- Hold the cloth over the area causing pain for 10 minutes.
- Apply ice whenever the pain increases.
- Fill a disposable bottle with water.
- Freeze the water bottle until the water becomes ice.
- Roll the frozen water bottle over the area causing pain.
- Keep rolling the water bottle for 5 to 10 minutes.
8. Contrast Baths
Contrast baths, in which you use hot and cold water alternately can also help get rid of plantar fasciitis. Different temperatures help alleviate pain. Most people respond well to cold water. Therefore, it is recommended that you finish your bath with cold water instead of hot water.
Do not use extremely hot water, as that may burn the skin.
7. Shoe Inserts
Shoes are very important for foot pain, they can either help ease the pain or make it ten times worse. Use shoe inserts if you have shoes that are comfortable but are not providing any help to ease the pain. Your feet need extra cushioning, that will help maintain structure.
Remove the insole that came inserted in your shoes and buy a better pair. You can find amazing insoles in the market that will help support your feet and provide pain relief.
Do not add orthotics or shoe inserts to only one shoe, as that may provide imbalance, which can cause further heel pain. Add shoe inserts to both shoes.
6. Weight Control
A good healthy weight solves all problems of the body. Maintain your weight if it is the right amount for your height. Lose weight if you suffer from obesity.
People who have a lot of weight suffer more from plantar fasciitis as compared to those who don’t. Your feet support your whole body, they help your perform everyday functions such as walking and running. Do not provide your feet with more burden than they can bear.
Maintain a healthy normal weight. Lose the extra fat and lead a happy and healthy life.
5. Change Your Exercise
Most people do exercises that cause them pain. Exercise should not cause you pain, it should help you feel healthy and fit. If you experience pain after exercising, it is time to quit that particular exercise.
Consult professionals who can help guide you and show you the proper exercises for your body. Do not overwork your muscles.
Do not overtax your leg or calf muscles, as that frequently causes plantar fasciitis.
4. Proper Footwear
Proper footwear is very important for the feet. Shoes to the feet are like clothes to the body; they should be comfortable and should not cause any pain.
Start judging shoes based on comfort, the style and appearance of shoes should come secondary. Wear shoes that help cushion the feet and provide support to the arch. Do not wear shoes with long heels for more than just a few hours. It is better if you skip the heels if you suffer from plantar fasciitis.
Recovery will be slow and long if you do not give importance to your footwear.
3. Go Barefoot
Going barefoot has its pros and cons. It works for some people and it doesn’t work for some people. Some people have seen good results after going barefoot, it is better than wearing shoes with huge heels.
You can also wear barefoot shoes. They are easily available in the market. Some people claim that going barefoot helps strengthen the calf and foot muscles. This technique is very effective during plantar fasciitis stretches and exercises.
2. Rest And Relax
The most important step in recovery is allowing your feet some time to relax. Do not overwork yourself or your feet. Your plantar fasciitis is not here to say, you can easily get rid of it.
Provide your feet with adequate time to relax and rest. You cannot cure plantar fasciitis if you do not let the muscles rest and regain strength. Be patient, as the inflammation takes time to go away. Treat your feet kindly.
A good and healthy diet is the key to a healthy and happy body. Most of the diseases and disorders are caused due to a bad diet. Be careful of what you put inside your body. Avoid junk food and food that can cause weight gain.
Incorporate fruits and vegetables in the diet. Choose healthy options when shopping for grocery.
Visit a dietician and plan a balanced diet. There can be cheat days as well as long as you do not go back to your unhealthy ways. A balanced diet along with exercise can help you maintain proper weight. This will help reduce the risk of plantar fasciitis.
- Maintain a balanced diet.
- Incorporate organic fruits and vegetables in the diet.
- Give your feet time to rest.
- Relax your body and mind.
- Do easy stretches each morning after waking up.
- Go easy on the exercise.
- Stretch your calf muscles.
- Use ice and heating pads for pain relief.
- Use Epsom salt in your bath.
- Wear comfortable shoes that provide good arch support.
- Control your weight.
- Use ginger, cayenne pepper, apple cider vinegar and turmeric to reduce inflammation.
- Consult your doctor if any problem arises.
- Do not overtax your muscles.
- Don’t gain weight.
- Don’t wear uncomfortable shoes just because they look great.
- Don’t keep exercising if it causes you pain.
- Don’t use burning hot water.
- Don’t use ice cubes directly on the skin, wrap a piece of cloth around the ice.
- Don’t drink apple cider vinegar directly, always dilute it using water.
- Don’t keep using any home remedy if you see it the disorder becoming worse.