Sweating is a natural process with the help of which we control and regulate our body temperature and filter out the harmful toxins in our body.But some people sweat more than others, or in other words, they face a kind of sweating disorder known as “hyperhidrosis” or “excessive sweating.”
This condition of excessive sweating is caused due to the hyperactivity of the sweat glands. Excessive sweating is also inherited but mainly it is caused by hormone imbalance, physical exertion, stress, anxiety, infections, increased body weight,diabetes, heart disease, alcohol abuse, nervous disorders, pregnancy, and certain medical conditions.
Excessive sweating is one such disorder which is not only troublesome and out of the ordinary, but is also really embarrassing and uncomfortable for the person suffering from it since it can lead to bad body odor.
Hyperhidrosis can affect all your body parts to sweat more or only some of them including underarms, palms, feet, face etc.Sweating much without any reason is indeed a problem that needs to be tackled properly in order to live a peaceful life. So, here we have given some home remedies that you can use to control your discomfort of excess sweat.
Given below are 20 of the most effective home remedies for excessive sweating disorder:
“20 super-effective home remedies for excessive sweating.”
20. Baking soda
Using baking soda to get rid of excessive sweating is a really effective home remedy. Baking soda has alkaline properties that fight against the acids present in sweat and help maintain the pH level of your body.It not only helps eliminate sweat but also cut down body odor.
- Since baking soda has absorption properties, you can simply dust or rub a little baking soda on areas where you sweat the most.
- You can also make a home made deodorant with baking soda which we will describe further.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda with one cup of water and take this mixture at night to reduce your sweat to a great extent.
- In order to get rid of excessive underarm sweating, make a mixture of cornstarch powder and baking soda and apply it under your arms after taking a bath.Leave it there for at least half an hour and then wash it off.
19. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is being used since decades in many parts of the world in order to treat a number of health related problems. This oil contains lauric acid that fights against bacteria that causes smelly sweat.
- You can massage your body with coconut oil to get a refreshing feel.
- Take some coconut oil onto your fingers and rub it under your arms to get rid of excess sweat instantly.
- Take a bowl of coconut oil and add 10 grams of camphor in it. Apply it on the sweaty areas of your body to reduce smelly sweat naturally.
18. Homemade Deodorant
You can also make a deodorant at your home using baking soda and coconut oil to combat excessive sweat. You can store the deodorant in a cool place and use it daily whenever you want.Homemade deodorants are far better than the commercially available deodorants in the market since the latter ones can cause severe harm to your skin. You can easily make your own deodorant at home by using the following ingredients:
- Take 3 teaspoon of coconut oil, 3 teaspoon of baking soda, 2 teaspoon of Shea butter, a few drops of any essential oil, and 2 teaspoon of arrowroot powder (if you want to). Use a double boiler to melt Shea butter and coconut oil over medium heat. If you don’t have a double boiler, you can also do this by putting some coconut oil and Shea butter in a glass jar covered with a lid, and then placing that jar in a saucepan filled with hot water for a few minutes.This will allow both the ingredients to melt down quickly.Next, take out the jar from the hot water and add baking soda and arrowroot powder and mix well. Add the essential oil of your choice. Mix again and store the mixture in a cool dry place.
- Take 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 3-4 drops of any essential oil of your choice and a few drops of water. Mix baking soda with water thoroughly to form a thick paste. Add the essential oil of your choice and then apply the mixture to your armpits. Wash it after 15-20 minutes to get a refreshing feeling for the whole day.
17. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is used for various health conditions including sweating since it balances the pH level of the body, including areas such as feet and armpits. It acts as an antiperspirant, forming a coat on the surface of the skin, and thus allowing the pores to remain closed.
- Using a cotton ball, apply some vinegar on areas that sweat excessively. Leave it there to dry and repeat this remedy daily for best results.
- Consume 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar thrice a day in an empty stomach before a meal is an amazing remedy to cure excessive sweating.
- For excessive armpit sweating, apply a little apple cider vinegar at night before going to bed. Wash it off in the morning.
- For excessive sweating of the feet, take half cup of apple cider vinegar and a liter of water and mix them well together. Soak your feet into this mixture for at least 15 minutes. This will act as an antiperspirant and will eliminate excessive sweat.
16. Wheat Grass Juice
Another effective natural remedy to control sweating is using wheat grass juice. Wheat grass juice is rich in vitamins A, B-6, B-12, vitamin C, proteins and folic acid. All these nutrients help neutralize the acids in the body and dilute the toxins in the blood. Taking a glass of wheat grass juice daily effectively treats the problem of excessive sweating.
15. Sage Herb/Herbal Tea
You might have heard of sage herb. It is a great antiperspirant natural remedy since it contains high levels of magnesium and vitamin B which slows down the functioning of your sweat glands. Sage leaves have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties and they also contain tannic acid which contracts the sweat glands and eliminates perspiration.
- Take some sage leaves and make a tea by putting a handful of leaves in boiling water. Allow it to steep for at least 10 minutes. Add a little honey or lemon for flavor and drink this tea daily to tackle the problem of excessive sweating, especially in underarms.
- You can also use sage tea for external use by applying it on your armpits or neck using a cotton ball. Sage tea eliminates sweating by almost 50 percent.
14. Tomato Juice
Tomatoes are a rich source of antioxidants and also act as astringents that help shrink pores of your skin to reduce excessive sweat. Drink 1-2 glasses of fresh tomato juice daily for a couple of weeks to reduce the amount of perspiration.
Potatoes have the quality to absorb extra water from the body and they are known as a blocking agent and an antiperspirant. Simply take a small potato and cut it into half. Rub it on the areas of your body which are prone to excessive sweat. This will absorb all the sweat and will also prevent further sweating. Alternatively, you can use potato juice for the same purpose.
Lemons have been used since ages for controlling excessive sweat and bad body odor. Lemons contain citric acid which helps eliminate bacteria and the pleasant fragrance serves as a natural deodorant for your body.
Quick link = Benefits of lemon water
- Cut a lemon into two halves and gently rub one half on your armpits by squeezing its juice and applying it in circular motions on the sweaty skin. Wash it after 15-20 minutes before going to sleep. It’s better to do this before bedtime because if you go out in the sun after applying a lemon, it will give you dark underarms.
- You can also use lemon juice with baking soda and apply it on the sweaty areas of your body. Take 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon baking soda and a cotton pad. Mix both the ingredients to form a paste. Apply this mixture using a cotton pad under your arms or on other sweaty parts of your body. Leave it for 20 minutes and then wash off with water.
11. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel has been used as a traditional natural remedy for treating numerous skin conditions such as bruises, sores, swelling etc. This herb works as an excellent antiperspirant and astringent that effectively dries up the sweating areas. Apply a little witch hazel extract to the sweaty areas like underarms, feet and even face to avoid excessive sweating.
“If you’re facing the trouble of excessive sweating then get rid of it instantly by following these effective home remedies.”
10. Black Tea
Black tea is a rich source of tannic acid. This acid contains antiperspirant and astringent properties that reduce perspiration and help contract the sweat glands so that they cannot transfer more sweat to the outer parts of the skin. Simply put some tea bags in boiling water. After the water cools down, soak your sweaty feet or palms in it for 20-30 minutes. This remedy works wonders if you suffer from sweaty palms or feet.
9. Tea Tree Oil
Another effective natural remedy for excessive sweating is using tea tree oil. This oil works as a great natural anti-fungal agent that fights the bacteria that causes excessive sweat. Apply a little tea tree oil using a cotton ball on the areas that are prone to sweat like underarms, feet, neck, behind the knees and inner elbows.
8. Drink More Water
It is always advisable to drink enough water and other fluids to keep your body temperature normal and also to flush out the harmful toxins through urine. Excessive sweating is bad because it can even cause dehydration. So, it is better to keep your body hydrated in order to produce less sweat. You can consume fruits juices, lemon juice or other drinks other than water to keep yourself cool.
Chamomile is an aromatic herb that contains astringent, antibacterial and deodorant properties.All these properties make chamomile ideal for controlling excess sweat.
- Mix chamomile and coconut oil together and rub the areas where you sweat the most.
- You can also make some chamomile tea by placing 1 teaspoon of chamomile in a cup of hot water.
- Alternatively, you can allow the tea to cool down and then dip a cotton ball in it to wipe the sweaty areas.
Grapes contain natural antioxidants that maintain and control your body temperature. Eat a handful of grapes daily to combat the problem of excessive sweating.
5. Eat Magnesium Rich Foods
Excessive sweating is also a cause of lack of magnesium in your diet. Conversely, sweating continuously for hours daily can also lead to lack of magnesium in your body. Thus, you should always eat foods that are rich in magnesium to help control your body temperature. Some of the very common magnesium rich foods are leafy green vegetables, broccoli, bananas, apples, nuts, whole grains and avocados.
Salt is best known for its dehydrating effect on the body and it slows down the functioning of the sweat glands when applied to the skin. Simply take a salt crystal and rub it on the areas that are prone to sweat. This works as a roll-on antiperspirant and has a blocking effect on the sweat glands.
3. Cornstarch Powder
Cornstarch powder also has the quality to absorb sweat. Dust a little cornstarch powder on the areas that sweat intensely. But first remove the sweat with a tissue as this will not allow the powder to create clumps when applying.
2. Talcum Powder
The function of talcum powder is the same as cornstarch powder. It has similar absorption properties and a powdery base that help suck in the sweat even before you break into it. You can apply ample amount of a lightly or non-perfumed talcum powder all over your body to cut down excessive sweat.
1. Green Tea
Green tea helps boost your metabolic rate and works as a detoxifying and distressing agent. Drink 2-3 cups of green tea everyday to control excessive sweating to a great extent.
Apart from the remedies mentioned above, you can follow the below given do’s and don’ts if you suffer from the problem of intense sweating:
- Always drink plenty of water.
- Wear loose fitting, comfy clothes.
- Keep your body temperature cool by reducing caffeine intake.
- Take a shower daily.
- Wear socks in close-fitting shoes.
- Avoid using body deodorants and chemical antiperspirants as they are harmful for your body.
- Avoid taking a hot shower.
- Keep away from alcohol and drugs.
- Do not wear clothes made of nylon or polyester.
- Don’t eat spicy foods.
- Loose some extra fat.