High Blood pressure can be dangerous and should be taken into account as soon as it is diagnosed. Otherwise it can be fatal.
High Blood pressure is caused by no identifiable cause. This may develop as you age with the years. This is called primary Hypertension or primary high blood pressure. In some people high blood pressure occurs due to an underlying condition. Various conditions or situations may lead to this type of hypertension. This is called secondary Hypertension. This may be a result of the following conditions:
- Adrenal gland tumors
- Kidney problems
- Thyroid gland defects
- Medications such as birth control pills, painkillers etc.
- Cocaine and amphetamines
- Too much consumption of alcohol
There are medications in acute cases of hypertension, but if you are recently diagnosed with hypertension, your doctor will add some foods to your diet like raw vegetables and fruits and will ask you to spend stress free time. If you are not prescribed any medicines by your doctor for hypertension, then you can try the following home remedies for high blood pressure.
25. Coconut Water
If you are a hypertension patient, your doctor may have asked you to drink lots of water. Drinking water keeps the body hydrated. Coconut water has properties which do not let the body to dehydrate. Coconut water is rich in Vitamin C, potassium and Magnesium which tends to lower the systolic pressure. You will have to consume coconut water on a daily base if you want to get advantage from this remedy and ease high blood pressure symptoms.
Nuts like almonds provide essential fatty acids to the body along with many essential minerals. Almonds contain a large amount of Potassium which makes them Blood pressure friendly and reduce the blood pressure to normal levels. So make sure to include almonds in your high blood pressure diet.
- Almonds also reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
23. Basil Leaves
Basil is used in China to lower the mean blood pressure. It is one of the known home remedies for high blood pressure there. It helps the body to prevent producing endothelins; which are proteins responsible for constricting blood vessels. The amount to be taken of the basil leaf extract for lowering the blood pressure is 30 mg per kilogram Basil leaf extract can be prepared easily at home.
- Take galas of water
- Crush the basil leaves with a mortar and pestle
- Add the leaves to the glass of water
- Drink this water after mixing it well
- You can also boil basil leaves in a cup of water. This will make basil tea
- Strain the leaves after boiling them in water for about one minute
- Drink this tea regularly to get rid of the hypertension
Bread is a rich source of foliate. Foliate helps in making the arteries flexible, thus the heart does not have to make an extra effort to pump blood through them. Bread can reduce systolic and diastolic blood pressure to a great extent.
21. Flax Seeds
Flaxseeds are another healthy food. They contain α – linolenic acid which is a form of fatty acids. They reduce the blood cholesterol levels and help the blood to be transported smoothly through the body. You can add flaxseeds to your salads make tea of them and drink them as well.
- They are equally good for cardio vascular diseases and obesity etc.
20. Cayenne Pepper
If your blood pressure levels are increased by some points means about ten to fifteen points, then cayenne pepper might be beneficial as it unclogs the blood vessels and does not let the platelets form clumps. It is a spice and a very strong one. It is also called red Chili pepper. Cayenne pepper can be used in salads, on toppings of curries and in soups. It is one of those simple natural remedies for high blood pressure that you can easily try at home by adding it in your meals.
“Home remedies have always been effective and they do no harm. These might not be helpful in very acute cases but they might be an effective remedy if you are a new patient of hypertension.”
If you are already taking high blood pressure drugs, try using celery juice with it and it will decrease the need of the Blood pressure drugs. Celery juice also helps to heal and detoxify the liver. Celery helps to relax the muscles which form the arteries and the veins.
- Celery reduces the stress hormones that cause blood pressure and makes the arteries, veins and all the blood vessels and muscles to relax. Extract the celery juice from a juicer.
- Add equal amounts of honey and mix the juice well.
- Drink this mixture at least thrice a day for a week to notice considerable results.
18. Exercise Regularly
Certain lifestyle changes make the blood pressure into control. Having regular walk or running exercise for at least 30 to 60 minutes daily can reduce the blood pressure to considerable levels.
If you do not like running or walking, try going to an aerobic class, or go for swimming. Or you can chose going for cycling. It is one of the most important home remedies for high blood pressure that you should do regularly.
“Hypertension is a very dangerous illness. It can be fatal sometimes if proper care is not given. Blood pressure must be controlled by either medication or a proper home remedy that works for you.”
17. Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek seeds are high in Potassium and fiber which ensures a normal blood pressure and ideal weight. Adding fenugreek seeds to your daily diet also lowers the risk of cardiovascular diseases and high blood pressure. To ease high blood pressure symptoms, you need to do:
- Boil a glass of water in a pan.
- Add two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds to the boiling water.
- Let the seeds boil for 5 minutes.
- Strain the seeds and add them in a blender.
- Make a paste of these seeds.
- Consume this seeds’ paste on an empty stomach twice a day, once in the morning and then once in the evening.
- Do not eat anything for thirty minutes after consuming the paste.
- This will reduce your blood pressure to normal levels.
Garlic juice has been used for years to reduce blood pressure in Tibet and China. They can be consumed in a raw state. Garlic also helps in reducing the heart problems if you have any. If you cannot eat raw garlic, crush the garlic cloves and mix it in a glass of milk. Drink that milk. It will no longer cause any burning sensations in the stomach. Make sure to include garlic in your regular high blood pressure diet.
15. Indian Gooseberry
Indian Gooseberry also known as amla is very effective in treating hyper tension. Amla has great amounts of Vitamin C, which helps in reducing the Blood Pressure levels. Amla when mixed with honey is also known to reduce hypertension. In natural remedies for high blood pressure , it is one of the most effective ones.
- Extract the Indian gooseberry juice with the help of a juicer or chop it and place it on a sieve.
- Add one teaspoon of honey in about two tablespoons of amla juice.
- Consume this concoction every morning to lower blood pressure.
Honey is another effective ingredient which is considered as one of the best foods that lower blood pressure. It soothes and calms the blood vessels and decreases the pressure on the heart. The heart does not have to work that hard to pump blood as honey ensures smooth blood flow. Take raw honey and eat that every morning on an empty stomach.
You can also consume raw honey by adding it to warm water. Consumption should be done every morning before breakfast. Give half an hour’s break and then take breakfast. You will see instant ease in high blood pressure symptoms.
Lemons make the blood vessels flexible and soft. It helps in reducing the blood pressure. It smoothens the blood flow in the vessels by reducing the cholesterol content and lipids in the blood. Lemon juice also contains the antioxidants which neutralizes the effect of free radicals in the body. It is highly advised to make it an important part of your high blood pressure diet.
Quick link = Benefits of lemon water
- Take half a lemon.
- Extract the lemon juice and mix it in half a glass of water.
- Add one teaspoon of honey in the water.
- Drink this mixture on an empty stomach.
Give half an hour’s rest to the stomach after drinking this and take breakfast after half an hour.
Wholegrain oats contain dietary soluble fibers. Consuming oats consistently for 6 to 8 weeks reduces the cholesterol in the blood. Whole grain oats will greatly reduce the high blood pressure risks.
11. Olive Oil
Extra virgin olive oil is famous for its anti oxidants and healing properties. Home remedies for high blood pressure are incomplete if you don’t add olive oil. Olive oil loses most of its excellent properties when it is heated. So it is better to purchase a bottle of 100 % pure olive oil and using it in your foods and salad toppings etcetera. It will not make you fat neither will it increase your weight. It will just add to your healthy lifestyle.
10. Onion Juice
Onion juice is used to lower blood pressure and for many other purposes. Onion juice contains flavonol which helps in reducing blood pressure. Adding onion oil in your daily meals is one of the simplest natural remedies for high blood pressure. Onion can be used in the diet in many different ways:
- Extract onion juice.
- Add one teaspoon honey to two tablespoons of onion juice.
- Consume this mixture thrice a day.
- You can also add onion in your diet.
- Add raw onion in your salads and used cooked onions in your curries, soups, rice.
It will also add flavor to the foods and will also clear your body of hypertension.
9. Stress Free
Spend a stress free life. Do not get worried on simple things and minimal issues. Leave some things to be decided by nature.
- There is no need to be tense about the things that you cannot change.
- Hypertension is common in sensitive people.
- Do not take things to heart and chill out!!
8. Pomegranate Juice
Pomegranate juice is well known for its healing and powerful anti oxidant properties. Pomegranate reduces the systolic blood pressure to a great extent as soon as you consume the juice. A glass of pomegranate is highly advised to ease high blood pressure symptoms.
Potatoes contain a high amount of Potassium and Vitamins. Potassium is said to be a major factor in reducing hypertension. You can easily include potatoes in your daily high blood pressure diet.
6. Relax With Music
Relaxing with music is a technique which is used to lower blood pressure. As music relaxes the mind and body, it helps in reducing the blood pressure as well.
5. Eat Salmon
Salmon contains fatty acids which are necessary for the body. It also helps in the reduction of blood cholesterol and blood pressure. It also contains good proteins which strengthens the muscles of the heart and blood vessels. So if you’re looking for some delicious home remedies for high blood pressure, just eat salmon every now and then.
4. Eat Tomatoes
Tomatoes contain anti oxidants which help in reduction of blood pressure. Tomatoes also contain potassium, calcium and magnesium which ensure smooth flow of the blood. In all the natural remedies for high blood pressure, this one can be easily included in your meals.
3. Eat Sprouts
Sprouts contain antioxidant glucoraphanin , which helps in reducing hypertension and many other ailments in the body. Sprouts are very good for the heart as well.
2. Quit Smoking
Smoking causes many risks to the human life. It increases blood pressure, risk of heart diseases and risk of strokes etcetera. It is advised to quit smoking before trying any of these home remedies for high blood pressure. Smoking causes coagulation of the blood and many blood particles are clogged together. This leads to tension in the blood flow and thus the pressure on the walls of the blood pressure increases. As the blood pressure increases the risk of stroke or heart attack doubles. Nicotine present in the cigarette is very harmful to health. It is better to avoid any bad condition than to face it, so wise people should quit smoking right now!!
1. Watermelon Seeds
Water melon seeds contain Curcurbocitrin. This compound widens and relaxes the blood vessels, thus ensuring a smoother blood flow in the vessels. Water melon seeds help to improve the functioning of the kidneys and as a result reduce blood pressure and arthritis. It dilates the blood vessels and keep the tension and high blood pressure away.
- Dry water melon seeds in sunlight.
- Take equal amounts of dried water melon seeds and poppy seeds.
- Put it in a grinder and grind them.
- Take this mixture of powders twice a day on an empty stomach.
- Taking this mixture of powders as a ritual on a daily basis will give you positive results in a month’s time and you’ll see significant decrease in high blood pressure symptoms.
- Do take a medicine for hypertension if your doctor suggests. Do not rely only on home remedies.
- If you chose to practice a remedy, do it with consistency and do not take breaks to see positive results.
- Do not leave your medicine if you are prescribed one for hypertension. Use the home remedies along with the medicine and see how it works for you.
- Do not take alter the quantities of the things mentioned and take them at the same quantities as written in the article.