- 1 What is Mumps?
- 2 Common Causes of Mumps
- 3 Symptoms of the Disease
- 4 Diagnosis of the Disease
- 5 Treatment of the Mumps
- 6 The Most Effective Home Remedies for Mumps
What is Mumps?
Mumps is a disease in which the salivary glands of the infected person that are located between the ear and jaw get affected which cause swelling of these glands and an unbearable pain. While it is common among children of younger age, it could also appear in the elders as well. Usually it appears only once in the whole life of an individual but in rare cases some people could get affected by it twice as well.
Common Causes of Mumps
An important thing to discuss next is the causes of the disease.
- Usually the disease is caused by the attack of the paramyxovirus which attack on the parotid gland present right below the ear and at each side of the face.
- This virus can be transmitted through air containing the infection from the coughing or sneezing of the infected person.
- Touching the products or things used by the infected person like door handles, utensils etc.
- The virus has an incubation time of about 14 to 24 days before the symptoms of the disease appears in a person, so the infected person could transfer the disease to another one without even knowing about their sickness.
Symptoms of the Disease
Mumps is a very contagious disease and it can easily pass from one person to another. The basic symptoms of the disease are as follows:
- Tell-tale neck swelling accompanied with severe pain and swelling, headache, dry mouth, fever, sickness, aching joints, fatigue, low appetite or completely lost of appetite and malaise as well.
- Besides these the patient also suffers from ear pain especially during chewing the food along the sour taste. The swallowing of food becomes difficult as well.
- Sometimes complications may arise by the mumps which include meningitis and swelling of testicles and ovaries with pain.
- Mostly those who get affected by it get better with proper treatment and care and do not face any kind of after-effects of the disease.
- But in some cases, the chances are that the patient could also suffer from neurological damage, pancreatitis, loss of hearing abilities and even death. But these are some extremely severe but quite rare cases. 95% of the people recover from the disease.
- Mumps could also result in the miscarriage in first 12-16 weeks. So, it could be really harmful during pregnancy.
Diagnosis of the Disease
The doctors can easily diagnose the disease by looking at the swollen glands but the disease could be confirmed by taking some blood, urine and cerebrospinal fluid or CSF tests.
Treatment of the Mumps
Mumps does not require any special kind of treatment. The body itself develops the immunity against the disease. A few antibiotics and the painkillers may be recommended by the doctor. For such condition, the home remedies are best to choose that would not only relieve the pain but would also aid in speedy recovery of the patient. So, here are some home remedies that could prove to be of great use to help you treat the disease at home.
The Most Effective Home Remedies for Mumps
There are certain natural ingredients that have the antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties and are very beneficial in treating the disease like mumps at home. Some of these ingredients and the tips to use them are as follow:
Terminalia Chebula or ink fruit are the other names for the Chebulic Myrobalan. It is considered to be a miraculous herb in treating the mumps because of its anti-inflammatory and antibiotic qualities. Because of such properties, it can be very effective in treating the swelling and curing the disease. Here is a method of applying the Chebulic Myrobalan.
- Keep one or two pieces of the ink fruit in open sun for about five to six hours until it becomes able to get grind.
- Now grind it with a little water in the grinder so that a thick paste is formed.
- Apply this paste properly outside skin where the swelling appears i.e. on throat and neck.
- Repeat the process twice or thrice a day for the whole week and you will see a clear reduction in the symptoms and relief from pain.
Sacred fig leaves also called the Peepal leaves are really helpful in treating the swelling and pain cause due to the disease. This leave also has a natural anti-viral quality that helps in killing the disease causing paramyxovirus. The method of using this leaf is really easy and is as follows:
- All you have to do is to wash or clean the leaf of the sacred fig and spread a little amount of butter or oil on it.
- Heat the leaf over fire and then apply this leaf on the swollen area
- Keep the leaf there with the help of tape or bandage
- Let it be there for at least 30 minutes.
- Repeat the process at least two times a day and keep on using it for about a week to get the desired results.
Aloe Vera is known to have natural antibiotic properties that are really helpful in curing several diseases at home and mumps is one such disease. Aloe Vera not only soothes the pain but also help to reduce the swelling caused due to the disease. The best way to apply Aloe Vera is as follow:
- Take a fresh piece of Aloe Vera and cut it vertically from the center and take out its gel.
- Now mix a small amount of turmeric powder with the gel to get a thick paste.
- Rub this mixture on the affected area gently.
- Let it be there for about 30 minutes and then clean it with cloth soaked with warm water.
- Repeat the procedure twice or thrice a day for a week.
- You can also drink about two ounces of Aloe Vera juice every day. This will boast up your immunity system and hence will result in the speedy recovery from the disease.
But you should not drink Aloe Vera juice if you are diabetic as it could result in the low blood sugar level that could be dangerous.
Asparagus And Fenugreek Seeds
There are many natural minerals and essential nutrients that are present in the Asparagus which enhances the body’s ability to fight against the disease-causing virus. For best results:
- Take three teaspoons of asparagus seeds powder and mix it with about equal amount of fenugreek seed powder.
- Mix the powder in water to get a thick paste
- On the affected area, apply an appropriate amount of the paste so that the area gets properly covered.
- Now let this paste dry on the surface and once it gets dried clean it with wet cloth.
- Repeat the procedure for one week and for best result use it twice daily.
- Fenugreek seed powder could directly be drunk by mixing a tablespoon of powder in a glass of lukewarm water.
- Another alternative is that you can make a thick mixture of fenugreek seed powder in water and apply it directly on the swollen area.
- Leave it for about half an hour and then clean the area with wet cloth.
“Mumps is a common disease and is very contagious. It is most common in young age children. You should take proper vaccination to get yourself immune against the disease. Although it is not a serious disease but a proper check up from the doctor and the recommended antibiotics should be taken. Those suffering from the disease should keep a distance from the others to stop the spread of the disease. The patients should be given light food such as soups, juices and porridge as it becomes difficult for the infected person to swallow any kind of solid food. There should be an adequate intake of fluids including water. The above-mentioned home remedies could prove to be very useful in treating the disease. Use the ingredients with natural healing properties to speed up the process of recovery by making your immunity system strong enough to fight against eh disease. In most cases the disease could be cured but it could result into some extreme condition. Therefore, the doctor should be consulted frequently to avoid the worse condition. So, take a lot of rest and seek proper treatment. Aid the healing process by using simple home remedies. These home remedies would not only naturally heal the disease but are also very effective in reducing the swelling and the severe pain caused as a result of the disease.”
Ginger has been proved to be a useful natural ingredient with best antiviral and anti-inflammatory qualities. It is very effective in curing the diseases accompanied with severe pain or inflammation. It also aids in removing the root cause of the disease.
- Take a fresh piece of ginger root and allow it to dry in the sun. Once dried, you can grind it to get the powder. The ginger powder is also easily available in the market as well. You can directly purchase it instead of making it.
- Make a thick paste by adding little amount of water in a tablespoon of ginger powder.
- Use this paste under the jawline and on the cheeks and let it dry.
- After that clean it with wet cloth dipped in warm water.
- Using this remedy for about four times a day for one week would greatly lessen the pain and would reduce the welling as well.
- Try using a lot of ginger in your everyday food to heal your disease quickly.
Indian Lilac also commonly known as Margosa or Neem is very helpful in treating mumps at home. These leaves are full of antiviral qualities and help in curing the inflammation caused as a result of the disease.
- Make a thick paste by mixing water with grinded leaves of Indian Lilac
- To this paste, add about one teaspoon full of turmeric powder
- Use this mixture on the affected area and let it dry for about 30 minutes.
- After this clean the area with clean cloth soaked in warm water.
- Using the procedure only once a day is quite enough to get you relief from the pain and swelling.
Besides being religiously important for Buddhists and Hindus, banyan tree also has natural cure for many diseases including mumps. The healing process gets speed up and the pain and swelling gets reduced by using banyan leaves.
- Take a banyan leaf and clean it properly.
- After cleaning the life, apply butter on it and warm it.
- Use this warm leaf on the infected area and secure it in place with the help of tape or bandage.
- For best results, leave the leaf on area overnight.
- Repeat the same steps two times a day for the whole one week.
Mullein leaf also helps in curing mumps. The Mullein leaf extracts soothing and healing properties that gear up the healing process.
- Take a tablespoon of dried Mullein leaves and add it to steeping ball.
- Now take a cup full of boiling water and let it steep for 10 -15 minutes until all the properties of Mullein gets dissolved in water.
- In this tea of Mullein leaves, dip a clean cloth and put it over the affected area for several minutes.
- Follow this process several times a day for a whole week to get the desired results.
- Alternative to this process is directly drinking one to two cup of Mullein tea every day.
You all are well aware of the anti-inflammatory properties possessed by baking soda which are very useful in treating swelling and pain caused due to mumps. Baking soda is also alkaline in nature making the growth of virus restricted.
- Make a paste by mixing a pinch of baking soda in fresh water.
- Use this paste on the swollen area and let it dry for about two minutes.
- Now wash the area with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the process twice or thrice a day.
Carrot Juice And Pineapple Juice
One of the easiest ways to treat mumps is by drinking carrot juice with pineapple and grape juices mixed in it. The carrot juice and the pineapple juice have various necessary vitamins that are very beneficial in treating mumps and is very useful home remedy.
Surprisingly, black pepper also has certain qualities that are effective in getting rid of the mumps. You can use the powder of black pepper and mix it in water. This thick paste could then be applied on the area with swelling such as the jaw and the neck area. It will produce great results within no time.
Like ginger, garlic also has natural healing properties and is very useful for diseases causing the inflammation and severe pain. You can directly apply the garlic on the affected area. All you have to do is to crush few cloves of garlic and apply them directly on the infected area so that it completely covers the area. Leave it there for some time and this will help you to get rid of the pain caused by the mumps.
- Take balanced diet.
- Take a lot of fluids such as soups and juices.
- Drink 6-7 glasses of boiled water after it gets cooled at room temperature.
- Eat fresh fruits and vegetable
- Drink carrot pineapple and diluted orange juice
- Take plenty of rest
- Follow your doctor’s advice
- Wash your hands properly and use tissue while coughing or sneezing
- Increase the intake of garlic and ginger in your food
- Immediately clean all the things after you touch them like door handles, tables etc
- Get yourself immune by taking vaccination of the disease.
- Consult your doctor in case of severe issues
- Do not ignore the symptoms of the disease
- Do not rely only on the home treatment.
- Avoid close contact with other people.
- Do not share your drink or utensils with others.