When it comes to keeping yourself in-style and on point, get rid of yellow nails are the last thing you would want!
In fact, I wouldn’t even wish my worst enemy to have to go through the ordeal. Unless it is my crush’s girlfriend!
Everything’s fair in love and war, isn’t it?
Speaking of love……… don’t we all just LOVE nail art! Don’t forget to check amazing and fairly easy nail art design that has taken the internet by a storm.
Coming back to curing yellow nails……
To begin with, your nails can turn yellow due to several reasons. The most common reason is by excessive use of nail color – Especially dark ones that cause smoking, liver diseases and fungi.
Nail paints sure do make your nails look pretty and prepped up, but it’s time you know that they too contain horrendous amounts of chemicals. These chemicals can cause skin diseases, allergies and is a leading cause in turning your nails yellow.
Without further ado, here are some foolproof ways to get rid of yellow nails;
10 Easy Ways to Get Rid of Yellow Nails at Home
1. Bring out all the lemons
Lemon, as we all know, is a naturally occurring bleaching agent, and is widely used for removing stains. Due to their color cutting properties, lemons are astoundingly useful when the agenda for the week is to get rid of yellow nails.
- Simply cut a lemon in half, and start scrubbing it over your nails.
- Do it for at least 10 to 15 minutes, twice a day or until you attain your desired results!
Make sure to rinse thoroughly with water and apply moisturizer afterwards, to keep the nails from getting too dry.
2. Reach out for the fruits
If lemons aren’t your thing, grab pineapples, oranges or strawberries. They all have naturally occurring bleaching agents which can help you get rid of yellow nails.
- Slice these fruits up and start scrubbing.
- Mash or grind the fruits into a mushy, paste-like consistency and scrub it on the nails with the help of a toothbrush.
Since the ingredients used are all natural, you can use these methods twice, every day.
3. Hydrogen peroxide scrub
When natural bleach fails, hydrogen peroxide is the way to go. It’s a harsh chemical, comparatively, so use it with care and make sure to not over-do it.
- In a bowl, mix 3 tbsps. of hydrogen peroxide in half a cup of water.
- Soak nails in the solution for no more than 5 minutes.
- Take your nails out and scrub with a toothbrush, for best results.
Use no more than once a week.
4. Don’t just reserve the baking soda for baking
Baking soda not only whitens your nails but it also lightens them over night! Whether you are in a hurry or are prepping up for the wedding you have to attend next month, baking soda works wonders when it comes to fixing yellow nails.
- Mix a tbsp. of baking soda with few droplets of olive oil and a dash of lemon juice to form a paste like granulated consistency.
- Apply onto the nails and scrub away with a toothbrush.
- Keep the paste on for 5 minutes on your nails, then rinse with water.
You will be surprised to see the results, overnight!
Use every two weeks, for best results.
5. Ask your dentist friend for a couple extra denture cleaning tablets
As the name suggests, these tablets are for cleaning dentures. Nails are no different than dentures. Hence, these tablets work wonderfully well, when you want to get rid of the disgustingly yellowish shade from nails.
- Dissolve the tablets in water, as the packaging says.
- Soak your yellow tinged nails in it for 15 minutes.
Repeat the process thrice a week for 2 months, in order to attain the best results.
Make sure to moisturize your hands well, to avoid cracking or drying of nails and adjacent skin.
If you are looking to quick fix the yellow nails, then here are three ways that are sure to do the deed!
6. Teeth-whitening strips can be your knight in shining armor
Just like denture cleaning tablets, teeth-whitening strips can work wonderfully well and treat your yellow nails in a few hours. If not completely, they can lighten the yellow shades and brighten your nails to a nice degree.
This process can be a little tricky and time consuming but it is definitely worth the hassle, at the end.
- Cut the strips according to the size and shape of your nails.
- Apply to nails and let them sit, according to what the package says.
- Viola, shiny white nails in no time.
Also, while you are at it, pray someone comes up with the idea of selling pre-cut, nail whitening strips, so we can simply skip the hassle.
7. A whitening pen or lip pencil, can be your savior for the night
Well, because desperate times, call for desperate measures, right?
This is for when you don’t have time to actually ‘treat’ your nails, so instead you choose to hide them. Whitening pens are used on teeth, for quick cover-ups. Likewise, they can be used on your nails too.
- Just apply the pen over your nails and done!
8. Buff it up
When you have no time in hand, buffing up the upper layer of your nails may help in reducing the yellowness or in getting rid of it completely. This depends on intensity of yellowish-ness in your nails.
- Get a nice nail buffer and buff the upper, yellow layer away!
The next two ideas are for those who want to avoid getting their nails anywhere near that disgusting shade of yellow.
9. Ditch the dark colors
Well! As much as we all love the deep blues and the gorgeous range of maroons, you need to ditch them right away. The amount of chemicals used in these dark ranges result in discoloration of your nails and who wants that!
So, go for either soft colors or may be just ditch the nail colors for a while.
10. Make friends with the base coat
If the demon inside you doesn’t let you ditch the hues of purple and black, or any nail color for that matter. Purchase a base coat!
A base coat is what you apply over your nails before applying a nail color. Not only does it make the nail color pop, but also keeps you away from getting yellow nails.
Fix those nails right away and get ready to be amazed by some DIY ideas to nail art designs coming your way, this week.
Till then, take care of yourself and those gorgeous nails!