With the advent of processed and packaged food, the idea and concept behind healthy food alternatives snacking have turned to something adversely different!
Today, most of us avoid ‘snacking’ altogether, blaming it to be the only reason behind our bloated tummies and chubby faces.
But in actual, the problem lies within the choice of snacks. When we talk about snacking, most of us think about getting a bag of chips, some would suggest a packet of cookies while rarely any of us would go for nature’s options such as fruits and veggies.
But little do we know that healthy snacking habits are praised by most dieticians. Sounds surprising, right?
In an interview with a re-known dietician, she clearly stated how healthy snacking habits are and are of great importance when it comes to leading a healthy lifestyle. She also said that
Taking short meals after every 3 hours is more feasible than stuffing yourself to the fullest, twice a day.
Keep your stomach filled, but not to the brim, just enough to not feel emptiness. Make sure to divide your calorie intake of the day into five small meals. 3 relatively larger i.e. breakfast, lunch, and dinner while the other two being smaller, which we call snacks.
Breaking up an ideal 1500 calorie count into measured proportions can definitely be a grim task, so here’s a guide that will help you get through the task without any hassle.
As to ensure healthy snacking habits amongst you and your family, here are some easy to make and desirable healthy snack recipes that are sure to make a vast difference in your lifestyle, hence effect majorly on your health. What more does one want?
Healthy Food alternatives List
1. Alternative for French fries:
When all you have been craving for is French fries all day, but despite the effort, you can’t seem to control the urge anymore, here’s an alternative that tastes as good with less than even half the calories!
Sweet potato, baked fires. Tasty and one heck of an easy snack recipe!
All you need to do is:
- Cut sweet potatoes into strips.
- In a bowl, toss them with 1 tbsp. of oil, salt and a bit of paprika.
- Place a parchment paper on a baking tray and lay a single layer of fries in it, without overcrowding.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 450F, until golden brown and crispy on the outside, fell soft and mushy on the inside. That will take about 20 minutes.
Serve as it is or with ketchup and ENJOY!
2. Potato crisp, alternative:
Over the centuries, potato crisps have become man’s best friend! Watching a movie? Grab the potato crisp bag. Watching a game? Grab the bag of crisps. Reading a book, potato crisps again!
Now, whether you have gotten bored of them or are looking for a healthy, almost as delicious, snack recipe, here’s one that is sure to blow you out of proportions!
Baked, Kale Chips!
You will need:
- -A bunch of kale
- Preheat oven at 350-F
- Carefully tear kale leaves out of the stock and cut into small bite-sized pieces.
- Lay on a baking tray, already lined with parchment paper.
- Top with a tsp of olive oil and seasoning.
- Pop in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until crisp.
There you have it, a hot and crispy serving of kale chips to go with any TV show, game or book!
3. Alternative for ice-cream:
Who thought we would have to let go off ice cream too? As much as we all love it, we ought to know that ice cream, too, has a high-calorie content and shouldn’t be eaten regularly.
But what to do, when the craving strikes? Well, we have a solution for that as well!
Frozen yogurt or FROYO is the best option. Tastes like ice cream but is way healthier and better for you!
You can make one at home, without much hassle. Here’s what you will need for this healthy snack idea:
For 4 servings of Strawberry and Choco Frozen Yogurt grab:
- – 2 cups of strawberries, frozen or fresh. Avoid thawed.
- – 1 cup plain yogurt, preferably low-fat
- – 2 ½ tbsps. of sugar
- – 3 heaped tbsps. chocolate chips
- – ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- In a blender, whiz together strawberries, yogurt, sugar and extract until smooth.
- Put in the ice cream machine and churn according to the machine’s instruction.
- 5 minutes before the frozen yogurt sets, mix in the chocolate chips.
- Put in an airtight container and freeze until ready to serve.
Once done, enjoy with a side of wafers!
4. Candy bar alternatives:
Well most of us cannot come to terms of avoiding candy bars, at all! I couldn’t either until I came across this power packed alternative, which without a doubt, is as tasty as any other calorie filled candy bar! Can’t believe? Try for yourself!
Chocolate and salted caramel granola bars:
Here’s what you will need:
- – A cup of instant oats
- – ½ cup + 2 tbsps. rice cereal
- – 6 tbsps. almonds, roasted
- – 1 cup chocolate chips, semi-sweet or bittersweet, whichever you prefer.
- – ½ cup of sugar
- – ¼ cup of water
- – 3 tbsps. of milk
- – ¼ tsp kosher salt
- – ¼ tsp vanilla extract
If you are someone who has made caramel sauce before, this recipe is very easy to make for you. Otherwise, it needs a little bit of concentration.
Here it goes:
- Melt chocolate chips, in the microwave and let cool once done.
- While the chocolate melts and cools, in a bowl mix oats, cereal and almonds together and set aside.
- In a saucepan, add water and sugar and let it all cook on a low heat. Swirling the pan occasionally, to ensure even cooking. NOT stirring!
- The process will take almost about 6 minutes and the mixture will turn golden amber.
- Take it off the heat and stir in milk, kosher salt and vanilla extract.
- Immediately pour the caramel over the dry mix of ingredients and mix well until everything is coated well in caramel.
- Next, pour the batter in a size appropriate, greased dish. Press with greased hands.
- Top with the cooled melted chocolate, cover with a cling film and put to freeze for 40 to 45 minutes.
Take out of the freezer, with the help of a knife, loosen the edges and flip the huge slab of caramel and chocolate goodness out on a chopping board and cut into slices or squares, whatever you prefer. Last but far from least, enjoy these healthy treats whenever you crave for a candy bar!
5. Alternative to sugary popsicles:
Well, summers call for lip-smacking popsicles, which most of us aren’t aware of, contains a huge amount of sugary content. This, in any case, is the worst for our body and mind!
So here’s an even healthier option for curbing those summery cravings:
You will need:
- – 1 peach, cut into fine slices
- – 2 kiwis, peeled and roundly sliced
- – ¾cup strawberries, sliced
- – ½ a cup blueberries
- – 2 cups of pure grape nectar, sieved and without any preservatives or added sugar
- – Now grab ice pop molds and assemble fruit into them.
- – Pour grape nectar over them.
- – Place the pop sticks and freeze.
Once frozen, they are ready to be licked off!
If chunky fruits aren’t your style, blend the fruits together and set them in molds and freeze, ready to be devoured later!
Pure orange juice, strawberries, and kiwi, watermelon and mango are a few combinations that work amazingly and are packed with nutrition, perfect to beat the summer heat!
Do you have any junk food alternative that you vouch by? Share with us and get a chance to be featured on our portal!