Couples that are either really in love and eager to start their lives together or want to save up on expenses might wonder about how to get married at the courthouse. A city hall marriage ceremony can be romantic in its rush and also saves you a lot of money that you can spend on building your new life together. Getting married at the courthouse used to be a thing of controversy but now many couples opt to get married at courthouse. It can be an intimate, cosy ceremony with just the closest of your family and friends. Then you could have an excellent reception if you still want to celebrate in a bigger way.
How Does a Courthouse Wedding Work?
For any couple out there that wants to know how to get married at city hall, we are here to help you by telling you some of the basic steps you need to take:
- Register for a marriage license and set a date. They would cost you some charges for getting the license and picking a judge to marry you. Just make sure to register some time before the wedding because it might take some time.
- After getting your license, setting a date and picking the judge, you need to find two adult witnesses to vouch for you.
- After getting all the formalities out of the way, start planning your wedding. Maybe purchase the wedding rings if you want.
- A courthouse wedding does not require much in the name of decoration, but you can still get flowers and a photographer to get photos of the two of you on your special day.
What Papers Do I Need to Get Married?
To be able to marry in America, you need to fulfil a set of requirements established by the state and country. Every state’s marriage laws may be different and change at any time so before making any wedding plans you may want to check with your city’s clerk or country’s registrar office to make sure you are aware of all the rules and regulations.
Below are some of the basic marriage rules or guidance that may or may not apply to your state:
- Get a marriage license from a clerk of the court by paying the required fees.
- The couple should be 18 or above, and if younger then they must have the consent of their parents or a judge.
- Some states require you to confirm immunity or vaccination for some diseases like blood tests for venereal diseases.
- Proof that any previous marriages were either dissolved by the court or death.
- The couple should be of sound mind; they should be able to get into a contract.
- The willing partners should not be blood relatives.
- A period where the couple has to wait to have their wedding ceremony after getting the marriage license.
- The service should be performed by someone that is recognised by the state with authority to conduct such acts.
- Send a copy of the marriage certificate after the ceremony is performed.
- Consummation of marriage is also required by some states.
How to Get Married at the Courthouse in Virginia?
If you live in Virginia and are wondering how to get married at the courthouse in Virginia then here is a list of rules or tips for anyone in a long-lasting relationship in Virginia who wishes to marry at the courthouse:
- You are only eligible to marry in Virginia if you are not already married, are not related in any way even though first cousins can marry in the state, and that you should be of sound mind. Virginia also allows same-sex marriage license since 2014.
- You should confirm if you are legally an adult and if not then provide the consent of a parent or a guardian.
- Provide your proof of identity through government-approved documents such as passports, driver’s licenses, social security cards, birth certificates and military IDs.
- If you were previously married, provide proof that the marriage was ended.
- You get a marriage license from the Circuit Court of the state. Before applying make sure you speak to a clerk to know what the exact requirements are.
- The couple is required to apply for the marriage license in person.
- There is no legal requirement for any witnesses.
- Make sure to send all forms to the court office, so your marriage is recorded.
How to Get Married at the Courthouse in Texas?
Below is a list of rules and requirements for couples who wish to marry at the courthouse in Texas:
- To apply for a marriage license, the couple needs to appear in person to the marriage license bureau.
- If you are under the age of 18, then you need to provide written consent from a parent and a birth certificate issued in the last ten years.
- You have to provide an American driver’s license or identity card to prove your age and identity, along with a current passport and a government ID such as Military ID.
- You have to get someone who is a person of the court or someone of government authority granted by the state to perform the ceremony.
- You have to be present at your wedding unless you are in the military and cannot be present at the ceremony.
- You can marry 72 hours after getting the marriage license, but it expires after 90 days so make sure your date goes along with that deadline.
- You can even apply for a common law marriage license.
- Military personnel who are in long distance relationships can apply for an absentee license.
How to Get Married at the Courthouse in Ohio?
Here is a list of requirements for the citizens of Ohio who wish to get married at the courthouse:
- The minimum age to be able to apply for a marriage license is 16. If you are younger than 18, then you need a signed consent from a parent or guardian along with proof of being counselled about marriage.
- There are no witnesses required. As well as no blood tests.
- The couple should apply for the license in person and must provide photo identification like driver’s licenses, state-issued ID cards, Military IDs, passports, permanent resident cards, and must remember their social security numbers.
- Make sure to apply for a license in the county you will be getting married in.
- If you were previously married, then provide proof of that marriage being dissolved.
- No close blood relatives can get married.
- Only a licensed or ordained person can perform the ceremony.
- The license is only valid for 60 days so set the wedding date before then.
- Send in the copy of marriage certificate after the ceremony is performed.
In this article, we helped our readers learn about how to get married at the courthouse when their wedding approaches. A bug wedding is, of course, beautiful, but a courthouse wedding can be intimate and more unique. The rush of getting married as soon as possible is not only romantic but smart.
Courthouse weddings are considerable cheaper than traditional big weddings. The cost to get married at courthouse is quite affordable, and that means you can either spend the money on your honeymoon or invest it for future opportunities.
A marriage ceremony in NYC can be quite expensive, but if you arrange the ceremony at a courthouse, then you save money and precious time. The stress of planning a huge wedding also makes the brides worry and may affect the relationship negatively.
A courthouse wedding saves you all that worry and stress, letting you marry in peace. If the couple is madly in love and eager to start their lives together then doesn’t a courthouse wedding sound perfect?