Chest congestion is most probably the ailment of lungs which is a one of the common symptoms of the respiratory tract also known as common cold. It happens when mucus membranes (Mucosa) that is present in the airways jumps into your open lungs from your nose vassals. Because of pollution, dust, virus and bacteria, mucosa cells are attacked and irritated, causing inflammation in chest whenever you breathe in. Some extra mucus is created which is thicker and that is flushed out as an intruding residue.
The deeper concept shows that when you breathe, you might inhale particles like dust, viruses, bacteria or allergens, these particles are floating around in the air and become one of the causes of chest congestion. These particles cover the mucus member by trapping in the mucus present in the nose and its airways. The tiny little hair inside the walls of the nose transports this covered mucus towards the throat causing you either to cough out or swallow. But that’s not all; sometimes dust particles can irritate your mucus membrane or some virus and bacteria that can cause severe infections. This also causes inflammation in your nose and formation of some extra mucus in your airways. This is the extra mucus that causes the congestion of the chest.
With the formation of extra and thicker mucus in the airways, your body may not be able to overcome this problem in a usual way like through coughing and swallowing. That is why you may start coughing more than usual and can cause pain in the chest and irritated lungs. It also affects the complete respiratory system, which is due to common cold and other heart issues. Heaviness, tightness or pressure in the chest area is well considered as chest congestion and can cause breathing problems. Normal breathing can become a great issue due to the heaviness of chest and you will feel quite irritated because of disturbed breathing.
Chest congestion also implies to the disturbed passage of oxygen through the lungs. This common disease indicates an underlying medical condition, so it is necessary to seek some medical help in order to cure the obstructive health issues that can be life threatening too. There are a number of other factors that cause chest congestion.
- Common cold.
- Gastro oesophageal reflux.
- Lung cancer.
- Heart problems.
- Pulmonary edema.
- Cystic fibrosis.
- Airborne allergies.
Of these all major causes the most common factor that causes chest congestion is the common cold. The most common symptoms of congestion are coughing, heavy breathing, runny nose, chest pain, wheezing, dizziness and many others, causing the patient restless and irritated. But we sitting at home can cure this common issue by following some effective home remedies. We have gathered some amazing old and new home remedies for chest congestion that will cost less and will be quite effective. But in severe cases it is always advised to consult a doctor.
“Free yourself from this disturbing and irritating chest congestion just by following these amazing DIY home remedies.”
15. Apple Cider Vinegar
Learn how to get rid of chest congestion using apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar is one of the effective remedies towards chest congestion, as vinegar helps in to kill bacteria that cause mucus in the nose and chest. This method helps to relief congestion and promotes normal breathing. The taste seems quite awful, but the end result is too good and effective.
- Take a shot of apple cider vinegar that would be about 50 ml and gulp it down directly.
- You can also take a tablespoon of vinegar, mixed with a glass of water.
- Drink this 2 times a day for instant relief from congestion.
Note: An overdose of ACV can cause stomach upset and other health issues.
14. Black Coffee
This miracle bean can also work effectively to cure congestion. Being an antioxidant, coffee has a cure for many health problems and its consumption can be quite effective and healthy. It basically warms your body and increases the body temperature that helps to sustain normal health and eliminates many diseases. Caffeine present in the coffee acts as a medication against mucus and shortening of breath.
- Drink 1-2 cups of strong black coffee every day if you’re feeling chest congestion symptoms.
- You just have to add a teaspoon of instant coffee in a cup of hot water.
- Avoid milk and sugar.
- Do not consume more than two cups as this may cause high blood pressure and increased heart rate.
Ginger can be very effective and soothing for your throat and chest problems. Ginger has some anti-inflammation agent that helps to reduce and soothe irritation in the respiratory track. It also has analgesic and antibacterial properties that helps to clean the chest from mucus and clears breathing. All these benefits make it one of the best home remedies for chest congestion.
Quick link = Benefits of ginger
- Take some fresh and cleanly peeled ginger and cut into small pieces.
- Add it to a cup of boiling water and simmer for few minutes.
- Strain the ginger tea and drink it while warm.
- Regular consumption of this tea can be effective for the relief of chest congestion.
- You can also chew some bite size ginger throughout the day for the relief of congestion.
- Ginger candles are also available whose aroma also helps you to get rid of heavy congestion.
- Powdered ginger in a glass of milk can also give you a relief.
12. Steamy Shower
Having a bath with hot water can help you to reduce chest congestion. It helps loosening of the mucus that is stuck in the walls of lungs and throat. It is equivalent to having a cup of hot water and provides a fast chest congestion relief.
- Whenever you are taking shower direct your chest towards the face of the shower. This way it will have a direct effect on the chest congestion.
- You can also try a hot water tub technique by soaking you body in a tub of hot water, fragranced with some essential thermal oils.
- Make sure the water is not piping hot which can cause skin inflammation.
Radish is a very good and effective skin hydrant. It provides one of the most effective home remedies for chest congestion. It not only works as a natural skin exfoliator but works work to fight against chest congestion. Proper use of radish can cure chest congestion caused by bronchitis, allergies and the common cold. In addition to raw radish, radish oil is also effective for chest congestion and related diseases.
- Take a fresh radish and wash it thoroughly.
- Chop it up into small pieces.
- Extract its juice through a juicer blender.
- Drink this amazing radish juice regularly for the treatment of chest congestion.
- You can add some lemon juice and honey for flavor and additional effectiveness.
- You can also apply some radish oil on your chest for the relief of this obstructive congestion.
If you’re looking for some effective ways of how to get rid of chest congestion, onion recipe is one of the best. Onion can be a very best remedy for chest congestion. Onions are filled with sulfur and quercetin that helps to clear mucus in the chest and relieves the chest congestion.
- Take some raw shallots of onions and use them to clear the mucus from the chest.
- Chew about 5-6 shallots of onion along with some sugar at night before bedtime.
- You can also use some sautéed or curried onion for congestion treatment.
- Cut onion in two halves and rub one of the half on the chest. This will transfer the heat in lungs and will ease the congestion.
- Make a paste of one onion; add 4 tablespoons of lemon and 2 tablespoons of honey into it. Have this mixture thrice a day to complete relief from chest congestion.
Fennel is one of the amazing herbs that work miraculously to ease chest congestion. It is also used for the treatment of cancer, stomachache and many other chronic diseases. It naturally removes mucus from the lungs and relieves congestion and cough. It works very effectively without any side effects and provides effective chest congestion relief.
- Take some fennel seeds and consume them raw. These will provide an utmost relief from congestion.
- Sautee some fennel and gulp it down for quick relief.
- You can also take some fennel by adding little curry powder to clean the mucus from lungs.
“Black pepper and honey is the oldest and most popular remedy for the treatment of chronic chest congestion.”
Gargles can be one effective way to reduce chest congestion. Gargles with normal saline water that helps remove mucus from the lungs and respiratory tubes, thus cleansing the chest. Try this simple technique if you’re feeling chest congestion symptoms. The method is very simple to follow :
- Take one cup of warm water and add a teaspoon of salt and a little turmeric to it.
- Stir it to make a solution.
- Gargle with your mouth and especially your throat with this solution.
- Repeat this procedure 2-3 times a day.
7. Milk With Saffron
This is no doubt one of the best home remedies for chest congestion. A mixture of milk and saffron can show some wonders on your chest congestion. Milk and saffron both gives heat to the chest that helps to remove mucus and clear congestion from the chest. Many people consume milk on the daily basis for energy and calcium intake and when it collaborates with saffron then the results get even amazing.
- Take a pinch of saffron and add it to a cup of warm milk.
- Mix it well and steep it for few minutes until saffron is completely dissolved.
- Add a teaspoon of honey and few drops of lemon.
- Drink this mixture twice daily for some amazing results.
6. Mustard Plaster
For a quick chest congestion relief, mustard is really effective. Along with chronic congestion, mustard plaster is also very effective for many other respiratory problems such as bronchitis. When it is applied it relieves the congestion and reduces the heaviness of the chest, along with clearing the respiratory tubes.
- Take about 4 tablespoons of dry mustard powder and mix it with 4 tablespoons of flour.
- Mix it well by adding a little water a form a thin runny paste.
- Apply some olive oil on the chest before applying this mustard plaster.
- Spread some mustard plaster on clean white muslin cloth and apply it on the chest.
- Leave it until it dries but remove it quickly is it causes any burning sensation.
5. Garlic And Lime Soup
Garlic contains some amazing anti-inflammatory properties that help to reduce chest congestion. Lime is a citric fruit that provides an important dose of vitamin C that also helps to prevent chest congestion. Garlic and lime together can provide some extra health benefits. So use this remedy if you’re looking for some best ways about how to get rid of chest congestion.
- Take about 3 lemons and squeeze them hard in a cup of hot water.
- Stir it constantly and add about 2-3 crushed garlic cloves.
- Add some crushed black pepper and a pinch of salt.
- Mix the solution well and gulp it down.
- The smell and taste may annoy, but the result is worth a try.
- You will feel a quick and instant result out of this mixture.
Proper steam gives sufficient heat and moisture to the chest that helps to break down mucus deep inside your lungs and throat. This method also liquefies the mucus that can be easily removed, thus easing the congestion inside the chest. It’s a must use remedy if you’re feeling chest congestion symptoms.
- Take a large bowl and fill it with hot steaming water.
- Add a few drops of tea tree oil, peppermint, rosemary, eucalyptus or any other essential oil or vinegar for some extra benefits.
- Place your face on the bowl and cover your head with a towel so that steam cannot escape.
- Hold your face for some time and inhale the steam deeply to break down the mucus in the chest.
- You can also have a hot shower to get rid of congestion.
- Heat will compress the throat and chest and will soothe the congestion.
- Simply drinking some warm water can give a good relief from chest congestion.
Thyme is one of the natural herbs that help to reduce chest congestion. It makes your lungs so strong that it can efficiently fight against the mucus caused by the deadly bacteria. It also acts as a protecting shield for your chest that protects your chest and prevents congestion.
- Mix half a teaspoon of thyme in a cup of hot water.
- Let it soak for 5 minutes and add a little honey for flavor.
- Drink this herbal tea to reduce your chest congestion.
- You can also use thyme oil mixed with some olive oil and apply it on the chest.
- Rub it gently in a circular direction for amazing relief from congestion.
2. Lemon And Honey
Lemon is one amazing citric fruit that is filled with vitamin C. It helps to cut down phlegm and its vitamin C content helps to improve the immunity system of the body. It prepares the body to fight against different viruses and bacteria that cause congestion in the chest. These bacteria and virus are the purpose of mucus development in the lungs and respiratory tubes that can be removed efficiently with this method. Honey which is know for its cough suppressing properties when mixed with lemon will show a great change in congestion and will ease the respiratory tract which will soothe the breathing process.
Quick link = Benefits of lemon water
- Take a teaspoon of some freshly squeezed lemon and organic honey.
- Mix this in a glass of warm water.
- Drink this thrice a day to get rid of mucus from the respiratory tubes and lungs and to eliminate congestion in chest.
- You can either mix lemon in warm water or only honey.
1. Honey And Black Pepper
A mixture of honey and pepper is a very old and the very best home remedy for the treatment of chest congestion. It reduces the thickness of phlegm and helps removing this phlegm instantly from the respiratory tract and from the lungs. Honey also helps in the reduction of mucus from the lungs because of its antiseptic properties. The following amazing method works for everyone and it is the most popular home remedy which you really have to try.
- Take one teaspoon of crushed or powdered black pepper.
- Mix it with some good amount of honey to make a fine paste.
- Swallow this paste like syrup for quick relief from congestion and mucus.
- Repeat this procedure approximately 4-5 times a day for complete relief of congestion from the chest.
- This process will also reduce cough or even dry cough.
There are some useful preventive tips that have to be followed to avoid chest congestion in the near future.
- Make a routine of washing your nostrils thoroughly in order to clean mucus through a saline spray, neti pot or gargling.
- Practice yoga and some effective chest exercises.
- Maintain a healthy and balanced diet.
- Avoid more dairy products that create mucus in your chest.
- Quit alcohol and smoking that is one of the main causes of chest congestion.
- Drink more and more water to keep yourself hydrated.
- Always take proper and healthy sleep.
- Have a steam with essential oils regularly to clear unwanted mucus.
- Stay away from respiratory irritants that cause mucus in the respiratory tracts.
- Always clean your surroundings from dust and other objects that create dirt, as these cause virus and bacteria which are one of the bad sources of congestion.
- Regularly drink herbal tea and black coffee.
- Use a menthol rub for quick relief.
- Consume citric and spicy foods.