Everyone desires to have a fair skin, whether it is a boy or a girl. Dull and dry skin can bea reason of overexposure to pollution, sun, a medical condition, stress, or prolonged use of chemical-products.
Many people work hard to achieve a fair skin, markets and stores are full of skin whitening or lightening creams, but these creams usually have mercury and other chemicals in them, which are indeed very harmful for your skin. Here,wewill tell you 15 home remedies you can use for lightening your skin complexion giving you effective results within two weeks.
15. Use Milk For Skin Lightening
Milk is rich in calcium. Calcium plays many important roles in our body and also regulates the actual skin color of the person. When you give a higher amount of calcium to the upper epidermis of your skin it acts as a barrier so that the skin doesn’t get dry or lose moisture, which in turn makes your skin darker. Calcium stimulates the Melanocytes, skin cells that produce Melanin pigment. Milk also contains Lactic acid, which lightens up the skin and reduces the pigmentation. Here is a simple way about how to lighten skin naturally using milk.
- Take some milk in a bowl and warm it a little. Now take a washcloth, soak it in milk. Then wring it and gently rub it on your face. If the cloth gets dry, soak it again and repeat the process.
- Soak a slice of lemon in ½ cup of milk for about 20 minutes. Apply it and rub it onto your skin and leave it for thenight. Wash your face in the morning.
Try and do it for 3-4 times daily and you will feel the difference yourself.
14. Yogurt For Skin Tone Lightening
In yogurt, there is a large percentage of lactic acid, which contains alpha hydroxyl acids (AHAs). It acts as a skin exfoliant that kills the dead cells on your skin, which leads to renewal of cells and gives you a brighter look by removing the dull and dark tone of your skin. Yogurt also has a bleaching effect to your skin; it bleaches the hyper-pigmented skin by controlling the production of melanin. To use it for skin lightening, try this simple method:
- Take some plain and unflavored/unsweetened yogurt. Apply it to your face and rub it gently for few minutes. Then let it stay for a couple of minutes. Repeat it daily.
- Take yogurt, oatmeal, lemon juice and mix it. Make a face mask and apply it on the skin. Let it stay for 20-30 minutes. Wash it with water. Do it regularly to prevent pigmentation.
- Take 1 tablespoon of yogurt, add 1-2 teaspoon of honey to it. Apply it on your face. Let it dry for 15-20 minutes. Wash it off. Repeat it daily.
13. Lemon Juice For Skin Lightening
Lemon juice is a natural astringent and it has a natural bleaching effect to whiten your face complexion. It tightens up the skin pores due to its acidic property. Lemons are a rich source of vitamin C, which is helpful for new skin cell development. They are also rich in anti-oxidants that help you get fair skin. Lemon will surely make you look pretty and beautiful. Here is how to lighten your skin naturally with this lemon treatment.
Quick link = Benefits of lemon water
- Take a lemon and squeeze out its juice in a bowl. Dip a cotton ball in it and apply it on your face and darker areas of your skin. Let it dry for 20-30 minutes and wash it with water. Daily practice of this tip will help reduce the dark discoloration of your skin.
- You can also cut the lemon in half and rub it gently on your skin for 10-15 minutes. Wash it with water and apply it regularly.
- For oily skin, take a bowl, squeeze out lemon juice in it, add rose water and fuller’s earth, mix it well and make a paste. Apply it on your face. Let it dry for 15-30 minutes and then wash it with water.
- For dry skin, mix lemon juice, olive oil and honey properly. Apply it on your skin on the dark patches and massage it gently. Leave it for 15-20 minutes and then wash it with lukewarm water.
You can also mix lemon juice and turmeric powder of equal quantities in a bowl, mix them well and apply it on your face. Let it dry and wash it.
- Don’t go out in the sun after applying lemon juice on your skin as it makes the skin more sensitive and will result in more discoloration of skin.
- Don’t apply lemon juice on open wounds.
- Always moisturize your skin after applying lemon as it causes dryness.
- If you have sensitive skin always dilute lemon juice with an equal amount of water.
Tomatoes can be easily found in your kitchen. It is the simplest way to learn how to lighten skin natually. It has a natural whitening and bleaching property which lightens your skin. It is rich in vitamin C and has an astringent property which is best for treating dark skin, especially for those who suffer with oily skin or acne. Tomato balances the skin pH with its natural acidic composition that prevents the production of excess oil on your skin and makes it look brighter. It also has antioxidant property that fights against bacteria and keeps your skin younger. Try this remedy and feel fresh and confident about your skin.
- Take a tomato and extract its pulp. Now apply the tomato pulp on your skin and massage gently where you have dark skin or discoloration. Let it dry for 10-15 minutes. Rinse it with water. It is best if you have dark pigmentation on your skin.
- Take a bowl and mix lemon and tomato juice in it. Apply it on your skin, let it stay for 10-15 minutes and wash it. Do it regularly for relief from dark skin.
- Mix tomato juice with buttermilk and apply it on your face using a cotton ball.Allow it to stay for 30-40 minutes and clean it with water.
- You can also mix tomato with yogurt for getting a brighter skin tone. Wash it after it gets dry.
- If you have a combination skin, mix one tomato pulp with an avocado pulp. Apply it on your face and let it stay for 20 minutes. Rinse with water.
11. Gram Flour Or Chickpea Powder
It is one of the best ingredients for those who want to lighten their skin complexion. It contains many nutrients that help in keeping your skin healthy. It acts as a natural skin exfoliant clearing dead skin cells and excessive oil on your skin. You can also mix it with other ingredients for gaining beneficial results for skin lightening.
- Mix some gram flour in water and make a paste, apply it on your face and let it dry. Wash it off.
- Take a bowl and add gram flour, honey, milk cream and lemon juice to it. Mix it well, if needed you can also add some water for making the paste. Apply it on your skin and let it dry. Rinse with water.
Continue it for 4 weeks daily to get rid of dark skin tone.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of gram flour, 4 drops of lemon juice, some milk and ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder. Apply this paste on your skin, let it dry and wash it off.
Repeat it daily for a month and you will see a lot of difference in your complexion.
Honey helps in both bleaching and moisturizing your skin, which removes the dead skin cells giving you a brighter skin tone. It is also an antibacterial agent, which helps in fading away age scars, age spots and acne on the skin making it look smooth and fresh. Here is how to lighten your skin using honey.
- Apply organic and pure honey directly to your face and wash it off later with lukewarm water.
- Make a skin lightening mask by mixing 1 teaspoon of honey, 1 teaspoon of powdered milk, 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and ½ teaspoon of almond oil. Mix it well and apply it gently on your face. Leave it for 15-20 minutes and wash it off with cold water. Do this after every two days to lighter your skin tone.
9. Rice Powder
In Asian countries, women have been using rice water or powder for whitening their skin. Now modern science has also agreed on the positive lightening effects of rice extracts on the skin. Para Aminobenzic acid (PABA) is present in rice, which acts as a sunscreen. When you take PABA, it increases the vitamin C level in your body. Rice also has antioxidant, Vitamin E and Ferulic acid,which protects your skin from harmful sun rays. Researches have been conducted on rice extracts and it has been proven best for hydrating skin, anti-aging and skin lightening. Try this simple method if you’re wondering how to lighten your skin naturally at home.
- Take ½ cup of uncooked rice and grind it to fine powder.Add sufficient milk in it. Mix it well to make a paste. Apply it on your face for 20-30 minutes and wash it with warm water.
If you are allergic to milk, you can also add water to make the paste instead of milk.
Repeat this process 2-3 times a week.
8. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera plant contains a compound called Aloesin which helps in restraining the tyrosinase activity regulating the melanin creation in the skin. So applying this aloe Vera gel will likewise give numerous different advantages because of its antioxidant properties. It will give you a smooth, delicate and a brighter skin tone. If someone asks you how to lighten skin using aloe vera, just try this remedy.
- Take an Aloe Vera leaf and cut its edges with a blade to open it. Then take out the gel from the aloe leaf with the assistance of a spoon. Now apply this gel on the skin where you have dark spots. Continue this gel application on the dull skin for about 4 times each day consistently for15 days.
After this, use it 3 – 4 times a week to have a brighter skin tone with no scars or imperfections on the face.
- You can likewise use Aloesin supplement that is extracted from the Aloe Vera plant (available in stores) and apply it on your skin for 4 times each day
7. Kojic Acid
Kojic acid is derived from mushrooms and other such organisms or fungi. This common compound is additionally the by – product of rice wine or rice sake, as this is exceptionally beneficial for the skin lightening. This Kojic acid restrains the tyrosinase action and consequently it prevents the development of melanin on the upper layer of the skin, which in turn helps in lightening the skin tone. In this way, Kojic acid is always considered as the best natural and common skin whitener that basically originated from Japan.
- First of all, clean your face and neck with a mild cleanser or face wash. Then take this Kojic acid and add it to any of your frequently used creams,lotions or gel. Stir it well and apply it on your face and neck completely and leave it.
Do this remedy twice a day on consistently for a month or two for skin lightening.
Remember, don’t use it if you have a sensitive skin as it will cause irritation. Do the patch test before applying this acid on your face.
6. Licorice Root Extract
Licorice has been utilized by Ayurveda and other Asian Pharmaceutical companies since long to treat numerous medical problems, including skin maladies like Dermatitis, Eczema and Psoriases. Recently, the brilliant properties of licorice as a skin lightening agent has been put to use by numerous cosmetics companies to make natural skin lightening creams.
You can find licorice extract in big stores.You can likewise make licorice extract at home by soaking or heating up the licorice root.
- Take a couple of drops of licorice extract and with the help of a cotton ball or a swab, apply a thin layer of this extract on your face and neck.Leave it for overnight and wash it off in the morning.
- To make a face mask grind 1 cucumber in a blender. Add few drops of licorice root extract to it.Now add lemon juice, sandalwood glue and tomato juice.Mix well and apply it to your face and neck. Leave it for 20-30 minutes or till it dries out totally. Wash it off.
Repeat 2 times each week for skin lightening and skin toning.
5. Bearberry Extract For Skin
Bearberry extract is derived from Uva Ursi plant and is used as an astringent in cosmetics, it is a good natural skin whitening agent also. It contains natural Hydroquinone and Arbutin, which have awesome effects on dark and dull skin. It also has antioxidant properties and makes your skin look brighter. Learn this method to know how to lighten skin naturally.
- The Bearberry extract should first be diluted. Dilute it with your lotion or cream. You can also dilute it with glycerin or water for applying it on your face.
Use it atleast twice a day for best results.
4. Mulberry Extract
This extract hinders tyrosinase movement, reducing melanin production in your skin. More of melanin production results in dark skin and pigmentation. Mulberry contains Gallic acid, fatty acids and Quercetin.All these are very beneficial for your skin that is why mulberry extract is now being included in cosmetic products too. It is an effective and beneficial skin lightening remedy.
- Dilute mulberry extract with a regular lotion and apply it on your skin twice a day.
Cucumber has a cooling effect on your face and is best for all skin types. It binds collagen and gives you a smooth and supple skin.
- Take a cucumber and cut its slices.Place them directly on your face and on the areas you want to lighten up. Let it stay for few minutes and wash it with lukewarm water. Do this process regularly two times a day.
- Take a cucumber and grate it. Mix it with honey. Apply it on your face and neck. Let it dry and wash it with cold water.
- Mix lemon and cucumber juice in equal quantities. Apply it on your face, let it dry for few minutes and wash it off.
Potatoes also have a skin lightening property. Its juice has a bleaching property and is a source of vitamin C that naturally lightens your skin by reducing melanin production and clearing up the dead skin
- Take a potato and peel off its skin. Cut it and put it on your face directly or extract its juice. Let it dry and wash it off. Do it daily to see the difference.
Turmeric is widely used in Asian countries and especially in India for improving your complexion. It is used both as an antioxidant and antiseptic too, for curing many skin and health problems. So it must be the first choice if you’re wondering how to lighten skin naturally.
Quick link = Turmeric health benefits
- Take turmeric powder and mix it with milk cream for making a paste. Apply it on your skin and let it dry. Wash it with lukewarm water.
- Don’t use skin whitening products available in the market for long period either they will lead to premature aging and will make your skin very sensitive to UV rays.
- Skin lightening chemical products can also lead to skin cancer.
- Stop smoking and using other tobacco products, they can cause wrinkles.
- Stop taking alcoholic beverages.
- Don’t over exfoliate your skin.
- Use a sunblock before going out in the sun.
- Always test lemon, tomato, etc. on your skin before applying it directly on your face as it may cause irritation.
- Keep your skin hydrated, take 8 glasses of water daily and lots of juices.
- Always cleanse your skin before sleeping using a mild cleanser and then moisturize it by applying a good cream or lotion.
- Also exfoliate your skin once or twice in a week to remove dead cells.
- Always remove your makeup before going to bed.